Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt Walter Harry Whitehurst Killed in Action 22-4-17

SOMMESOLDIER

Hi There, :)

Could anyone please help me with any information about this chap ? I'm not sure as to which action he was killed in !

Any other information would be great.

Cheers

Tim.

Hi All, :)

Just bumping this back up to the top. Here's hoping !!

Cheers

Tim,.

• 2 weeks later...

Once again bumping it back up to the top, and hoping !!

Cheers

Tim.

Just one last throw just in case and then I'll put it to bed !! Honest !!! :D

Cheers

Tim.

Tim.

Just so that you get at least one reply!! But only summarising what you already know.

CWGC mentions that he was in 3rd Battalion of the North Staffs - who according to Chris' main site never left the UK. It also mentions his connection to the 2nd Battalion of the Yorks & Lancs - who, again according to Chris' main site, were in Ireland. But Walter is commemorated on the Loos Memorial.

The time of his death coincided with the period of the Arras offensive and 2 battalions of the Yorks & Lancs were involved in this - 7th Battalion in 17th Division and 10th Battalion in 37th Division.

However, I am not sure that casualties with no known grave from this series of battles would have been listed on the Loos Memorial.

Neil

Edited by Neil Mackenzie

Hi Neil, :)

Many thanks for your reply. You have hit the nail on the head reguarding why and with whom Walter was in France. I am trying to work out how he ended up being Killed in Action.

You have added a couple of things that I hadn't thought about, I'll have to look a lot more into it !!

Cheers

Tim.

Hi Terry, :)

I had no idea that there was a file for him !

Would this be his Service Records, or something different ?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers

Tim.

Tim

It will largely concern information regarding his estate, and any enquiries from his family. However, there is often as casualty return form included which may give an idea of location and a form stating in which cemetery he was originally interred, assuming he had a known grave. Some are more informative than others. It is most unlikely that you will find a detailed description of his service, nevertheless it will needing checking out as there may be clues contained in it.

Terry Reeves

Edited by Terry_Reeves

Hi Terry, :)

Sounds fascinating. I will get hold of it as soon as I can. I must admit , I quite often find the incidentals of an individual as interesting and in some cases more interesting than their general war service.

Very many thanks for all your help !

Cheers

Tim.