Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HEWITT, Holt Montgomery of the Royal Iniskilling Fusiliers & Machi

wulliam

Hi All,

I have 3 medal cards needing interpretation. To keep things simple I'm going to start 3 posts - one for each. They were 3 brothers from Northern Ireland.

Here is the third:

post-9218-1134238245.jpg

Hope someone is able to help with all the code!

Thanks,

William

The "Code" you refer to is the references to the Medal Roll Book & Pages that the MiCs refer to{These are held @ the NA but only accessible by personal {or researcher} attendance,From what is written it would appear that he was regarded "Dead" as of 1/7/1916 & his Medals issued from R Inn,Fus & MGC Rolls[being impressed with the details signified by the X & dots by the MiC entry{s}]

The "Code" you refer to is the references to the Medal Roll Book & Pages that the MiCs refer to{These are held @ the NA but only accessible by personal {or researcher} attendance,From what is written it would appear that he was regarded "Dead" as of 1/7/1916 & his Medals issued from R Inn,Fus & MGC Rolls[being impressed with the details signified by the X & dots by the MiC entry{s}]

Thanks for the reply. I wonder, then, if anyone can tell me what the mysterious letters/numbers to the right of the curly brackets mean. I shall transcribe them here as they are rather small in the image:

I.V.X/4384 dp[not sure of that] 13 5over22 nw[not sure of that] 6/80895

Thanks again,

William

They are internal correspondence references & the date is more than likely the date the Medals were issued{1922} as this is about the period they were being sent out.{there is also a date{17/3/22} @ the bottom corner which may refer to issue of the Star,as this was often sent out seperately.I would refer to the actual Medal Rolls as they will contain useful information that these Audit Number codes will never do,they were basically for the medal issuing offices reference & bear no relation to the recipient.

They are internal correspondence references & the date is more than likely the date the Medals were issued{1922} as this is about the period they were being sent out.{there is also a date{17/3/22} @ the bottom corner which may refer to issue of the Star,as this was often sent out seperately.I would refer to the actual Medal Rolls as they will contain useful information that these Audit Number codes will never do,they were basically for the medal issuing offices reference & bear no real relation to the recipient.

You will also find them signed up to the Ulster Covenant - go to PRONI Ulster Covenant and 'search' .. you wil see their original handwritten stuff.

Des

William,

I have some info about these three if you're interested - a few pictures of them and some other bits. Let me know .

Swizz