Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Age limit to be Commissioned.

taryong

Hello,

Does anyone knows what was age limit to be commissioned in the British Army during the Great War?

Where can I get references regarding this matter?

Thanks,

Clifton

Clifton,

There was a 15 year old commisioned into the 11th East Lancashire Regiment. He was Second Lieutenant Reginald Battersby.

Aged 16 he was in action on the Somme, 1st July 1916.

Scary hey.

That seems to be the lower age limit sewn up. I wonder what the lads he led though of their platoon commander? At the other end of the scale much was made of Lt Henry Webber, killed on the Somme. Lyn MacDonald tells his story, and CWGC lists his entry as being the oldest known casualty of the war. Bobs Roberts was older certainly but its thought that Henry Webber was the oldest to die as a result of enemy action. 68 years old if memory serves me.

Clifton

You may wish to find a copy of The Army Candidates' Regulations which contains information regarding admission to the RMA Woolwich and RMC Sandhurst amongst other things, as a starting point.

Terry Reeves

Clifton,

There was a 15 year old commisioned into the 11th East Lancashire Regiment. He was Second Lieutenant Reginald Battersby.

Aged 16 he was in action on the Somme, 1st July 1916.

Scary hey.

Scary is not the half of it. Am I correct in assuming that the army did not know his true age?