Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Meanings of numbers

albert20

Dear forum members, This is probably a daft query, but what do the numbers 1/1 mean as in 1/1 Hertfordshire Regimen, or 1/4 Duke of Wellingtons West Riding Regiment?

I know that one of the letters indicates the battalion (for these that would be the 1st battalion?), but what is the significanc of the 2nd number after the forward slash? Is it simply a smaller unit within that battalion?

Many thanks :huh:

Hello

welcome to the forum

I always believed it referred to the company but will stand corrected as not 100% sure

Ian

Hello

welcome to the forum

I always believed it referred to the company but will stand corrected as not 100% sure

Ian

Thanks Ian for the prompt response,

Cheers

Anita

I thought the first number before the stroke was the line, the second number after the stroke the battalion of a Territorial Force as it expanded.

For instance, your example 1/4th Btn Duke of Wellington's West Riding Regiment was raised in August 1914 ; the 2/4th Btn in Sept 1914; and the 3/4th Btn in March 1915.

This link on the mother site might help: http://www.1914-1918.net/tf.htm

Edited by Grey Squirrel

My understanding it has to do with the merger of two under strength battalions into one fully manned battalion, probabbly due to casualties.

Example in the Royal Scots Fusiliers regiment on 7th May 1916; the 6th (Service)battalion merged with the 7th (Service) battalion to form the 6/7 battalion.

Regds

The 1/4 Duke of Wellingtons West Riding Regiment is the 1st 4th Battalion, Duke of Wellingtons West Riding Regiment.

This is a territorial battalion originally made up of men who had volunteered for overseas service in 1914. Men in the 2nd 4th Battalion, Duke of Wellingtons West Riding Regiment were a home service unit until 1916, although they could volunteer for service abroad with the 1st 4th at any time, should they wish to do so. Both battalions came from the pre-war 4th Battalion with the addition of new recruits, and are often labelled first and second line units. Companies in these particular battalions were always known by letters.

Tony.

Thank you all for your replies - this makes things a bit clearer.

Anita