Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Boer War Vets who re enlisted

Gordon Caldecott

Hi,

Can anyone shine any light on this topic for me? I`m trying to ascertain, whether solderis who had previously served in the Boer War, but then left the forces, but re enlisted during the Great War, would these men have two sets of service papers, or would the army have linked them together?

Any thought anyone?

Also when you conduct a search on line with the 1901 census, does it recognise middle names? It has a box for other names, but not sure if this is for maiden names or second names?

Basically I`m researching a guy from my village who i know served in the Boer War, but I`ve also found an MIC to a man with the same name who joined the local regiment during WW1.

John William Gleave served in the Cheshire Yeomanry during the Boer War and a John W Gleave served in the Cheshire Regiment during WW1, is this the same man??? He`d have been 32 at the out break of WW1.

Any thoughts anyone?

Gordon.

If a soldier was discharged from the army prior to 1913 then his service papers may be in WO97. If he served and then went onto the reserve and was recalled in 1914, then it is unlikely they will be in WO97. This series also includes many TF enlistments who were discharged, discharged through sickness or bought themselves out between 1908 and 1913.

Hi Gordon

I've got several ancestors who were in the Boer war and then were recalled in 1914. I've found their records in WO97 and duplicates with a few additions in WO363/364.

Mick

Hello

never been that lucky - have found papers to the Guards for the Boer war but then not the ww1 ones

Ian

Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae, CEF [Author of "In Flanders Field"]

When the South African War started in October 1899, John McCrae requested postponement of a fellowship in pathology that he had been awarded at McGill University in Montréal. He was subsequently commissioned to lead an artillery battery from his home town. This Guelph contingent became part of D Battery, Canadian Field Artillery.

John McCrae sailed to Africa in December 1899 and spent a year there. John McCrae resigned from the 1st Brigade of Artillery in 1904 after being promoted to Captain and then Major. He was not involved with the military again until 1914.

The day before he wrote his famous poem, one of McCrae's closest friends was killed in the fighting. Wild poppies were already beginning to bloom between the crosses marking the many graves. It was the second last poem he was to write.

Of interest, no Attestation Papers appear on-line for his Boer War service and his Great War Attestation papers also do not contain a Regimental Number.

Great War Attestation Papers http://data2.archives.ca/cef/well1/200489a.gif [Major later Lt. Col]

Source: http://www.vac-acc.gc.ca/general/sub.cfm?s...firstwar/mccrae

Also when you conduct a search on line with the 1901 census, does it recognise middle names? It has a box for other names, but not sure if this is for maiden names or second names

Middle names are rarely entered on census forms. There is no field for entering maiden names

My Great Grandfather served in the Boer War with the Militia (6th Royal Warwicks) he signed up in December 1899 for 6 years, he was disembodied in December 1905.

I have seen and photocopied his Militia Attestation papers, which note his service number and the amount of time he spent in South Africa, at the NA in series number WO90. Unfortunately if his previous service was noted in his WW1 papers in WO363, I have no way of knowing as they are not amongst those that survive.

His WW1 sevice number was different to that of the Boer War and he went into a Regular Battalion (2nd Battalion Royal Warwicks) on re enlistment in November 1914.

Stephen

Edited by Stephen White

Cheers Guys, you`ve all been of great help. I have his Boer war papers, so I assume its going to be hit and miss with if any his WW1 ones. I think my next avenue should be the local press to see if they printed an obituary for him, and see if that gives any further clues to his possible WW1 service.