Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

book at Tesco

eskimo

Hi Pals,

I don't know whether it's just my local Tesco but my wife purchased a lovely book for nearly half price £6.40p while doing her shopping last night. It's a book with loads of unseen photos, by me anyway, from the Daily Mail archives published in 2005. Narritive is informative but not in great depth, but the photos are beautifully reproduced

Just thought it might be worth a look if out shopping today.

Regards eskimo

I couldn't find any Great War books, but Tesco in Southport has the WW2 version for about the same price.

Roxy

Hi Roxy,

Must be different branches stocking different books, unless Stratford-upon-avon is known to be a hotbed of ww1 enthusiasts, because thats where i purchased mine.

eskimo :)

Hi Eskimo

I know the book you're referring to. I got a copy at the Sussex Stationery Bookshop back in

the Autumn at a reduced price (not the reduction you got thought). I think it is a superb book

for the price, as you say the picture content is of excellent quality and on the best paper as well.

Geoff

Edited by Geoff Parker

Hi Geoff,

Yep, agree with you there, the quality is excellent.

Looked in Redditch Tescos today but they wern't stocking it either.

For anyone who might be looking for one:-

The book is a large size with a yellow cover and gold writing with soldiers jumping over a trench on the attack. 256 pages.

Regards eskimo.

D,

A Photographic history of WW1

eskimo.

Edited by eskimo

Gericht

This is not a reprint - This a new book of Daily Mail (allegedly) photographs taken during

WWI - The book is not actually published by the Daily Mail although they might be

associated (cant remember of the top of my head). If I remember correctly the title

is something like "Daily Mail photographs of World War One" and the captions adjacent

to the photographs are (in my opinion) rubbish in some cases but the photographs

themselves are excellent (dont know if they've been re-mastered) and on top quality paper

which makes the pictures stand out. I wont be able to access the forum again until Boxing

Day but if I remember I will post the ISBN number and Publishers. The book is also available

at Waterstones but at published price (not reduced) so look around.

Geoff

The actual title of the book is

"A Photograph History World War I -

Photographs by the Daily Mail"

Published by Parragon, ISBN 1-40545-616-7, retail price £12.99.

Hope this helps to locate the book

That's the same book santa brought me, he has confessed it was from a cut price book shop.

I nearly bought a copy myself from a different shop can give details if anyone requires - PM me.

Jane

I have a WW2 Daily Mail book which I think must be equivalent to this. I must say the quality of the photographs in it is excellent. I haven't noticed a WW1 book in Tescos though - I must keep an eye open for it.

Swizz

santa got mine in woolworths a great book

bruce

They are in abundance at my local ASDA Bournemouth (WW1 & WW2 Versions) not that I shop there, just seen lots of Chavs leaving there who I happen to hear saying '"I say Tarquin, this book is really spiffing at £9.96p"

My local Tescos however has it at £6.30 or summat, again not that I shop there either, I over heard someone stood at a bus stop as I went past in my Bentley on the way to Waitrose.

I saw several copies of both the WW1 and WW2 books on my way to work this very morning in Easons (Botanic Avenue, Belfast). I think they were both priced at £9.99 there.

Swizz

• 9 months later...

The Local Woolworths have just got a new stock these books -A Photographic History of WW1 / WW11. All the photographs are from the archives of the Daily Mail. Selling at £8.00. (RRP £12.99)

:)