Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ships sunk in the Med

Cheepie

My great Grandfather was in the Lincolnshire Yeomanry

it is family "rumour" that during WW1 he was on a ship awaiting deployment in the Dardenelles that was sunk with the loss of most of the passengers & crew. He was one of a handful of survivors

Does this ring any bells or can anyone suggest where to research this ship?

Cheepie, it's best to interpret these sort of "rumors" so as to allow for some degree of exageration or errors in some details. There certainly were a number of troopships torpedoed and sunk by U-boats in the Mediterranean with heavy loss of life.

The Lincolnshire Yeomanry didn't sail until October 1915. The intended location was Salonika but that was changed while at sea to Egypt. (see http://www.1914-1918.net/CAVALRY/lincsyeo.htm) It doesn't appear that there was a notable British troopship disaster during the deployment.

Best wishes,

Michael

Thanks a lot, Personally I am not convinced as he was born in 1900 which would make him 15 in 1915, but my mother insists her Grandfather, Redvers Robert Peel did serve in WW1. I have found a medal record for Redvers Peel (unusual name so possibly it is him) The problem is that Peel is such a common name in the North East that I don't think that I can be sure

Best wishes

The Lincolnshire Yeomanry were onboard the Mercian which was attacked on 3 Nov 1915 by a surfaced German u-boat.

The ship wasn't sunk and the majority of the crew and yeomanry survived (don't have the numbers but about 20-30 were killed). The ship put into port at Oran, Algeria before continuing on to Egypt. By the time they arrived there was little point in them continuing to Gallipoli (withdrawal pending) and hence used in Palestine.

I would imagine that the Mercian is the ship your g-grandfather was on. Given his forename think the Peel, on the online MICs is your man.

Jim

Edited by jim_davies

The defensively armed Mercian, 6.305 grt, was shelled on 4th November 1915 by the German submarine SMU U38 between Gibraltar and Alboran, Mediterranean Sea, and managed to escap by its own speed.

There were 29 crew casualties who are commemorated on the Tower Hill Memorial.

Sorry, but I don't have any info on passenger casualties.

Best wishes

David

I've got the Cape Helles reg. part 12 Soldiers Lost at Sea.

It has Lincolnshire Yeomanry casualties from the Mercian.

The date in the Reg. is 3rd. Nov. 1915.

Kath.

Have you considered that that the regimental record might be wrong?

British Vessels Lost at Sea gives the 4th, and the U-boat captain, Max Valentiner, stated the 4th.

Best wishes

David

Hello,

the 3rd is correct date, as also quoted in U 38's war diary.

From an PRO file I have:

About 500 trooops and 500 horses on board MERCIAN.

Shell fragments killed 23 soldiers and 14 horses and wounded 6 officers, 48 soldiers and 1 crew.

Later 1 officer, 6 soldiers and 11 horses died of their wounds.

23 soldiers and 8 crew left in boats, of thom 11 soldiers and 5 crew remaind missing, the rest being rescued bei S/S SAINT PHILIPPE.

Oliver

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all your helpful replies

Strangely he joined the RAF in WW2 and avoided going anywhere near water, managed to survive that at well!

Born lucky I think, just wish I'd asked him more about his life in the services before he died in 1985 in Surrey

Best wishes