Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Regimental abbreviations pt2

Grey Squirrel

Another abbreviation... again from the GRO's WW1 other ranks death indexes on www.1837online.com

"RNLR"... anyone know who they are? Am I right in thinking that the North Lancashire Regiment was Loyal not Royal and therefore it can't be them? Or could the GRO have misindexed all LNLR men under RNLR by mistake?

Thanks for any advice!

Grey Squirrel,

Correct it should LNLR and RNLR, its a common sight in SDGW and other sources.

Graham.

Thanks for the responses.

I've just checked against CWGC the first five casualties I came across indexed by the GRO as having served with "RNLR" (images of these WW1 death indexes are online at www.1837online.com). These are:

John Jagger, Pte 13642, died 1917

Abner James, Pte 27493, died 1917

Donald James, Pte 10827 died 1918

Albert Jameson, L/Cpl 1069, died 1915

Albert Jarvis, Cpl 34459 died 1918

CWGC gives the regiment for each of these five men as the Loyal North Lancashire Regiment. There are no "LNLR" entries that I can see on the same pages in the GRO indexes. It therefore seems that "RNLR" must represent LNLR. Was the Loyal NLR also known as the Royal NLR?

It just seems odd that an official government body such as the GRO would consistently use the abbreviation RNLR for the LNLR.

If they are listed with army ranks, it is unlikely that they are from the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve.

I've just checked against CWGC the first five casualties I came across indexed by the GRO as having served with "RNLR" (images of these WW1 death indexes are online at www.1837online.com). These are:

John Jagger, Pte 13642, died 1917

Abner James, Pte 27493, died 1917

Donald James, Pte 10827 died 1918

Albert Jameson, L/Cpl 1069, died 1915

Albert Jarvis, Cpl 34459 died 1918

CWGC gives the regiment for each of these five men as the Loyal North Lancashire Regiment. There are no "LNLR" entries that I can see on the same pages in the GRO indexes. It therefore seems that "RNLR" must represent LNLR. Was the Loyal NLR also known as the Royal NLR?

It just seems odd that an official government body such as the GRO would consistently use the abbreviation RNLR for the LNLR.

As you can see, they are definitely LNLR men indexed by GRO as RNLR. It seems peculiar to me but I just wondered whether anyone better informed than me knew if the Loyals were also known as the Royals.

Grey Squirrel,

It appears to be a common issue with the Loyals and I've seen it in AVL's, Newspapers and so on, even as far back as the Boer War. The only other time I've seen the term Loyal used in a regimental title is among Militia/Volunteer units in the late 1700's and early 1800's i.e. "Loyal Glendale Rangers"; "Loyal Usworth Legion" and so on.

Graham.