Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

C Battery 74 Brigade RFA

gem22

I recently purchased, on eBay, 'The Daily Telegraph Pocket Atlas of the War'. Inside the cover is a dedication to:- ( what may be a G )(Great?) Uncle Ted With Much love from (here I'm guessing) Girlie (Then definitely) and Boy. Dated 1917 in the same ink.

Underneath in Pencil and in a different hand it reads

144354 Gnr E E Jeffs

C74 - RFA

BEF

France

Now I know from CWGC that 144354 Gunner E E Jeffs died on 4 Oct 1917 and is buried/commemorated in Artillery Wood Cemetery. However just out of interest I wondered if anyone had any information on his unit.

From his date of death and place of burial I imagine he was caught up in 3rd Ypres but I would love to know a little more if possible. Considering what I paid for the book I really feel I have a bargain if this book has truly survived a trip to the western front.

Garth

Hello Garth, I have a copy of the Guards divisional history and I know that the 74th brigade RFA was attached to that division. At the beggining of October 1917 the 74th and 75th Brigades RFA had moved back to the front line at Ypres. On the 4th of October both Brigades were employed in support of the attack of the 29th Division. From the maps that I have it looks as if the 29th Division where attacking just outside the town of Poelcappelle, notheast of Ypres. I`m afraid thats all I have suffice to say that in the Guards Divisional history it states that the 74th brigade suffered extremely badly during the month of October, with casualties amounting to 11 officers and 68 other ranks ( I dare say Gnr Jeffs would have been one of those). Regards Pete