Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

John Carmichael VC MM

barrieduncan

Hi people, anyone know anything about John Carmichael VC and how he won his MM? I dont even have a date for it but have seen it mentioned a number of times.

I know its not likely recorded why he won it, but I figured him being a VC winner they might have mentioned his MM too.

Barrie

His obituary from the Times 30-12-1977:

post-6536-1134127486.png

No mention of the MM.

Can't find it in the gazette as of yet.

Steve.

I had a look before but couldn't see anything. His medals are at the Staffs museum, i'v emailed them for any info but nothing back yet.

We'r doing a new exhibit in our museum and we want to do a piece on local hero's. Its also quite cool because he was a great-uncle, or something like that, of my girlfriends dad - dodgy link I know :)

I think our archives have some copies of the regiments war diaries, maybe they would have something but I suspect its prob to do with his VC as oppossed to the MM.

Barrie

Still looking for info on Carmichaels MM (if he ever did get one, i'm starting to doubt if I ever read that or dreamed it). I downloaded his MiC but not only does it fail to mention a MM, but it doesn't even mention his VC. There are some curious notes in the Remarks section, can someone be so kind as to interpret them for me. I gather that one is his discharge date but dont know what the other notes are.

Thanks,

Barrie

Ok its not letting me attach the image, its only 120kb, any suggestions?

It needs to be 100kb or less these days. Reduce the size of the image down at bit. 85-90% of original size should do it.

Steve.

Thanks Steve,

I'm at work now and guess what, it wont let me attach the bleedin' file!

:(

Barrie

Fingers crossed, here is his MiC. If any kind soul could take a peek and explain the notes, and/or suggest why no mention of his VC, i'd be much obliged.

Thanks,

Barrie

post-9547-1134750436.jpg

The remarks section is showing the information that would have appeared on his SWB card - date of enlistment (8 June 1915), date of discharge (13 September 1918) and under Paragraph 392 Section XVI of Kings Regulations (no longer fit for duty)

No idea why VC or MM is not shown.

Steve.

Cheers Steve,

The entry next to star has been crossed out, does this mean he didn't get it?

Barrie

Hmmm, probably not.

Not really sure what the reference is for but no "14" or "15" has been entered next to the pre-printed star line, nor has a date of entry been entered.

Since he enlisted in June 1915 then six months training would have seen him up to the end of 1915 and possibly into early 1916 before he went overseas.

I suppose it would depend on how heavily his unit had taken casualties during late 1915 as to when he went overseas as a replacement. Were they (the 9th N. Staffordshires we can only presume) at Loos?

On balance I would saw no, probably overseas in 1916.

Doesn't explain what the reference was for, though.

Steve.

I'v got a feeling that I may have read somewhere that he originally joined the RE. The North Staffs never made much sense to me as he lived in Scotland, could he have been in the RE and then moved to North Staffs? Maybe he got the 14/15 star in the RE, i'm gonna have a quick look to see where I came across the RE connection.

Cheers for your help steve,

Barrie