Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

35003 Pte Thomas Abrams 4bn Yorks Regt., Alexandra. Princess of Wales

Guest philden

Hello everyone, My uncle Thomas Abrams died in Langensalza POW Camp on 8th November 1918.

Buried there and then reinterred at Niederswehren Cemetery (Kassell) V1, J17. His records show him as having enlisted at Flint in the Royal Welsh Fusiliers No.44024. Can anyone hazard a guess as to the reason for

the change in regt and number,other than attrition? Thanks so much. Dennis Phillips.

In memory of 35003 Pte.Thomas Abrams. 4th Bn., Yorks Regt. Died 8/11/1918. God bless you Uncle Tom!

Hi, your guess at losses is probably correct. Many servicemen served with 2 3 or more regiments or corps. He may have been sent home and re-assigned to another regiment or as you infer to make up numbers in a decimated regimnet, you would need to see his service record but the reason why he changed are unlikely to be found. Gareth

Thanks Gareth, You are probably correct too. Unfortunately my Uncle Tom's service records were destroyed in the London Blitz. I did manage to get his medal card though. The town council at Kassell were good enough to take a photograph of his grave and also forwarded details on the Langensalza POW Camp which included the record of his death there. Other POW's there were from France, Italy and Russia in the main. The CWG also assisted me. Dennis.

In memory of 35003 Pte T Abrams 4th Bn Yorks Regt. Died 8 November 1918.