Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

K Track

Peter Beckett

Another challenge for the Pals :D

I am looking for an extract of a trench map showing the above, if possible, plus a modern day photo of the area.

The 2 trench maps I have do not show it but the one dated 090918 28NE1-9D Zonnebeke has a F Track just south of the brickworks, Zonnebeke so it may be on a trench map of a different date

Ever the optimist :rolleyes:

Peter

This is from an attachment with the War Diary of the 6th Canadian Field Ambulance. I have studied other sketch maps with the diaries of some of the Engineer and pioneer units, but I cannot find the references right now. These on-line War Diaries are wonderful, but sometimes one has to look through several haystacks before finding a needle.

I hope this helps.

Tracks.

James,

thanks for that.

I also found it mentioned in a footnote on page 841 of CEW Beans The Official History of Australia in the war of 1914-1918, Vol IV-1917 (Broodsiende) but no clear maps showing the tracks

Peter

Hello Peter,

While reading this topic, I noticed that you have a grandfather killed in Polygon wood in 1917. Do you have a photograph of him? I would be interested in it for our Passchendaele Archives project... .

Kind regards,

Jan

Hi Jan,

no, he was severely wounded by German shelling but survived until June, 1948. I had not contacted you as I thought your project was for killed soldiers only.

Peter

Hello Peter,

In all my enthusiasm I must have misread! Indeed, we are only looking for soldiers killed, not wounded. We have to draw a line somewhere for our research... .

Kind regards,

Jan

Peter

This is the map you want. The track runs between Calvary Road and Cambridge Road.

John

post-1365-1134241232.jpg

John,

thats really great. Thanks a lot.

Any chance of sending the highest resolution jpeg to me?

I will PM you a suitable email address

Peter B)

John,

please cancel last request as I have the map on the CD

Again thanks to all, now all I have to do is go back and check some given facts as the description and area was 3/4 mile north of Zonnebeke whereas this track is well to the southwest near Railway Wood.

Peter