Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medals

bart592

Hi Everyone

Is there a list of medals awarded to seamen for bravery for the Battle of Jutland ?

Maybe i can track down the ship my grandfather was on that way

Many Thanks

Bart

All of the men who served at the Battle of Jutland have service records which you can purchase on the National Archives Web Site (3.50) per record.

Theres no need to do this the hard way. All you need to know to complete a search is his fornames and Surname..........but as he was your grandfather you shouldnt have any problems :)

The gallantry award will also be listed on his service document......and most probably the ship too.

Get searching now ......

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...y=*&queryType=1

Steve.

All of the men who served at the Battle of Jutland have service records which you can purchase on the National Archives Web Site (3.50) per record.

Theres no need to do this the hard way. All you need to know to complete a search is his fornames and Surname..........but as he was your grandfather you shouldnt have any problems :)

The gallantry award will also be listed on his service document......and most probably the ship too.

Get searching now ......

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...y=*&queryType=1

Steve.

I have his service record and also his Jutland medal but no clue to which ship he was on, it turns out that his ship according to his service record was docked in glasgow

mmmmmm

Bart

Sorry to hijack!

One of 'my' men:

Charles Leeson

Gunner

RMA/12221

HMS Invincible, Royal Marine Artillery

31st May 1916

Portsmouth Naval Memorial

From Mansfield Woodhouse, Notts

There are 2 Charles Leesons on these records but the 'official' numbers aren't the same as the one above.

Any ideas which one it could be?? :rolleyes:

[Broken link removed]

Bart,

When you say the Jultand medal what medal are you talking about the DSM, DSC or DSO? If it were a DSM the ships name would be on the rim.

The other two awards are for officers......was your Grandad an officer?

If someone said Jutland medal to me I would assume they were talking about the medal made by Spinks as a fund raiser during the war?

Can you give a description of the medal please and whats is the ships name on the service document covering the period of the Battle of Jutland.........(30 May to 1 June 1916)

You could also try here if you want lists:

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveSe...e=0&Referer=WW1

Anthony,

Royal Marine Artillery papers arent on the web site. Both of those are not your man........its only RN papers.

The RMA papers are at the PRO at ADM 159 I believe and 158 for the early enlistments.

Steve.

Steve,

Mystery solved!! :lol:

Thanks

Bart,

When you say the Jultand medal what medal are you talking about the DSM, DSC or DSO? If it were a DSM the ships name would be on the rim.

The other two awards are for officers......was your Grandad an officer?

If someone said Jutland medal to me I would assume they were talking about the medal made by Spinks as a fund raiser during the war?

Can you give a description of the medal please and whats is the ships name on the service document covering the period of the Battle of Jutland.........(30 May to 1 June 1916)

You could also try here if you want lists:

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveSe...e=0&Referer=WW1

Anthony,

Royal Marine Artillery papers arent on the web site. Both of those are not your man........its only RN papers.

The RMA papers are at the PRO at ADM 159 I believe and 158 for the early enlistments.

Steve.

Hi Steve

This sounds very interesting

A fund raiser medal this could solve all my questions could you tell me more ? here it is, if it is a fund raiser how did it get bought or given and why.

Oh and he served in the Tenth Cruiser Squardron on the HMS Changuinola at the time

Many thanks again

Bart

Not all.. the RNR aren't online (yet?).

Charles Leeson

RMA/12221

His records will be in ADM 159/85.

Btw after the war, when the RM units were amalgamated, a 2 was put in front of the RMA numbers, but the sequence was kept.

Royal Marine.......never served at Jutland they were on land with the Royal Naval Division..........mostly DEAL men.

The RMLI, RMA, RMB and not forgeting the RMFVR were present at Jutland.

Royal Marine is a generalist term and should not be used to describe the above listed units during WW1.

Steve.

HMS Changuinola has already been covered on the forum - see:

She was part of the 10th Cruiser Sqdn & not present at Jutland.

Bryan

Hi Everyone

Is there a list of medals awarded to seamen for bravery for the Battle of Jutland ?

Maybe i can track down the ship my grandfather was on that way

Many Thanks

Bart

The awards for Battle of Jutland are in LG 29751 of 15 Sep 1916. Very few ships are noted tho.

Bryan

Hi Steve

This sounds very interesting

A fund raiser medal this could solve all my questions could you tell me more ? here it is, if it is a fund raiser how did it get bought or given and why.

Oh and he served in the Tenth Cruiser Squardron on the HMS Changuinola at the time

Many thanks again

Bart

Bart,

This looks to me like the Jutland “In Memory of Those Killed That Day” medal struck in pewter as a fund raiser for the families of the sailors killed in the Battle. Normally it did not have a suspender – some added a suspender to the medal for wearing purposes. The medal was also struck in a smaller version in silver & I understand a very few were struck in gold for notable personages.

Bryan