Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1/7 Battallion West yorkshire Regiment

sugerand

I am researching my Great Uncle who was KIA 17/11/17 near Passchendaele, commemorated at Tyne Cott.

Can anyone give information on the Battallions movements during 1917? Anything would be appreciated.

Thank you

I have Everard Wyrall's History of the West Yorkshire Regiment in the War 1914 -1918. I'll be happy to look up any dates you may care to throw at me, will be able to get on to it in the next few days hopefully.

Nigel

I have Everard Wyrall's History of the West Yorkshire Regiment in the War 1914 -1918. I'll be happy to look up any dates you may care to throw at me, will be able to get on to it in the next few days hopefully.

Nigel

Nigel

My Great Uncle belonged to the West Yorkshire's 7th bn. Rifleman Frank Bowe No:4275 and then 266692 after renumbering in 1917. I have been unable to find out what date he enlisted which would help. I have obtained some information from the Regiment's head quarters in York about activity during November. The main battle was finished by the 15th November 1917 and he is listed as KIA on the 17th. I have concluded that it was either as a result of a random incident or he died on an earlier day but was identified as missing on that date. I am working backwards now and would be interested to know the movements of the !/7th during 1917.

Franks body was not recovered but he is named on the Tyne Cott Memorial.

Many thanks for your interest and help

Sue

Sue,

No problem at all. I'll see if I can find the address for the Leeds Rifles Comrades. Their colonel may be able to put you in touch with a historian who would be able to help you.

My interest?

Ah Well, my granddad was also in the same battalion until gassed which caused his posting to to the 7th reserve battalion in Ireland.

I'll be in touch

Nigel

Sue,

No problem at all. I'll see if I can find the address for the Leeds Rifles Comrades. Their colonel may be able to put you in touch with a historian who would be able to help you.

My interest?

Ah Well, my granddad was also in the same battalion until gassed which caused his posting to to the 7th reserve battalion in Ireland.

I'll be in touch

Nigel

Nigel

You are the only person I have corresponded with that has had any direct connection with the Leeds Rifles. When was your grandad transferred to Ireland? Would any of his service overlap with my Great Uncle's?

I even wondered if they had met???

Many thanks for your help,

Sue

I would be really interested to hear about any information you have and the address would be great. I didn't know that there was such an organisation as The Leeds Rifles Comrades. My

Hi Sue,

My granddad enlisted very soon after the war began and served with the 1/7th until being gassed, which family legend has it was in 1916. This may not be right though. It would be interesting to know if he still kept his LR cap badge after being posted to the 7th reserve battalion or whether he adopted the Hanoverian horse. My granddads number was 2253 til 1917 when he was renumbered 268259. It's not beyond possibility that they were known to each other. Just as an aside, wherever he went on holiday, he bumped into someone who knew him from his service days so he wasn't shy by any means.

The Leeds Rifles Comrades are very much alive and kicking. I was a cadet with the Leeds Rifles til I joined up and then we went our separate ways.

Nigel

Hi Sue,

My granddad enlisted very soon after the war began and served with the 1/7th until being gassed, which family legend has it was in 1916. This may not be right though. It would be interesting to know if he still kept his LR cap badge after being posted to the 7th reserve battalion or whether he adopted the Hanoverian horse. My granddads number was 2253 til 1917 when he was renumbered 268259. It's not beyond possibility that they were known to each other. Just as an aside, wherever he went on holiday, he bumped into someone who knew him from his service days so he wasn't shy by any means.

The Leeds Rifles Comrades are very much alive and kicking. I was a cadet with the Leeds Rifles til I joined up and then we went our separate ways.

Nigel

Nigel

I don't know exactly when Uncle Frank enlisted but I suspect he went to France with the regiment in 1915.

His number was 4275 and was renumbered to 266692 in 1917. His youngest sister who was only 6yrs old when he died is now 94yrs and still alive, but she cannot remember anything of note.

This is all very interesting. I will keep you psted if I stumble across anything else.

Sue

I have the papers of a 8th West Yorks (Leeds Rifles), H.A. Atkinson - and details pertaining to his relative John Simmon Atkinson of the 2/7th West Yorks (Leeds Rifles). Both of which can be consulted in Soldiers - some way down the list now.

I have the papers of a 8th West Yorks (Leeds Rifles), H.A. Atkinson - and details pertaining to his relative John Simmon Atkinson of the 2/7th West Yorks (Leeds Rifles). Both of which can be consulted in Soldiers - some way down the list now.

Thank you for drawing my attention to the postings. I had spotted them.

Hi Sue,

Movements of the 1st/7th (Leeds Rifles) Battalion, The West Yorkshire Regiment during 1917

1 January: Battalion at Bouque Maison

11 February: Moved to Ransart sector

End of February: Moved to Faquissart sector

Between End of February and 10 July: In Laventie area

10 July: Billeted at Estaires

18 July: Rebaillet Camp (Reserve)

2 August: Moved to Ghyvelde via Coxyde

3 August: Uxem – Teteghem area

28 August: Ghyvelde

3 October: Watou No. 2 area

6 October: Vlamertinghe No. 2 area

3am, 9 October: Calgary Grange

9 October 1917 Attack on (grid reference) D.3.d.9.4 (1st objective), and Wolf Farm (2nd objective) at D.4.c.3.8

11 October: No.2 Camp, Vlamertinghe

12 October: Winnizeele area

28 October: Steenvoorde East area

8 November: Swan area

11 November: Broodseinde sector

15 November: Broodseinde sector (Reserve)

20 November: Divisional Reserve at Dickebusch

31 December: Vancouver Camp

Source: The West Yorkshire Regiment in the War 1914 – 1918 by Everard Wyrall.

And the C.O. was Lt. Col Tetley

Nigel

ps I also posted this your other thread - "History of the West Yorks Regiment in the Great War", Look up required, please.

Hope this helps