Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Banker's Draft - 26 (Bankers) Bn Royal Fusiliers

tombowcock

Hi Everyone,

Not so much of a battalion history as the magazine of the 26th Battalion Royal Fusiliers.

Has anyone on this forum seen this book ??.

Its in the British Library Catalogue. I'm interested to know what kind of things are in it. Does it have photos of the Battalion etc.

As I have quite a few men who were in this Battalion it would be nice to know if it is worth getting a look at ?

Better still does anyone have a copy ?

Grateful for any information on ths one.

Best Wishes

James

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
Don't know about the book, but here is a photo of the band........Hope it's of interest

Hello, I am researching a Jack Hillman on the Banstead War Memorial. He served with the 26 Bankers RF and previously belonged to the Banstead Silver Band. It is just possible that he is in the photograph. Can you tell me if it is dated? Jack Hillman died on the 14 Jul 1918.

Thanks

James,

The Bankers Draft only ran to two editions. I cannot remember if I saw just one or both at the IWM, but what I did see was included with a typescript memoir by Pte Plint.

I can't remember any photos, but there are plenty of line drawings, as the editor was a graphic artist who resumed work with a national newspaper afer the war as a cartoonist (I'm doing this from memory, so will have to check and get back to you)

Needless to say, I was chasing concert parties, and disappointed to draw a balnk in the pages of The Bankers Draft, but it (and Plint's memoir) are well worth a visit to the IWM. In fact I must go back sometime and order the rest of it.