Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte W Barrass 27/40

shinglma

Hello

I'm looking for someone with some knowledge of the Northumberland Fusiliers.

Can anyone tell me anything about the service number for Pte William Barrass 27/40

who was serving with the 23rd Tyneside Scottish at the time of his death in March 1918.

His CWGC details are here.

Can I take it from the prefix to his service number that he was originally in the 27th Battalion

and that he was transferred to the 23rd after that battalion's disbandment?

If so isn't his number low for someone whose MIC does not refer to a 1915 star? I wondered if there was

another MIC somewhere but if so I can't find it. His MIC incidentally is mis-indexed as Norfolk Regiment.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Mike

Bump...

Mike

Per "Irish Heroes in the War" he was originally in the 27th (4th Tynside Irish) Battalion of the Northumberland Fusiliers. He was included in this battalion as a Private in "B" Company.

I don't think any of the Tyneside Irish or Scottish Battalions went to France until January 1916 therefore no 1915 Star.

I've just checked John Sheen's book "Tyneside Irish". William Barrass 27/40 appears in the Nominal Roll for 27th (4th Tynside Irish) it also gives an address of 27, South Street, Sherburn Colliery, says he was in Hospital in Manchester in July 1916, wounded in Sept 1916, and that he had transfers to 11th, 24th and 23rd Battalions.

Regards

Pam

Mike

Get in touch with Graham Stewart.

He's a very busy man but if there is anything else to find out on your soldier Graham will have it.

Sean

Thanks to you both for your useful replies.

Mike

Mike,

About the only extra bits that I can add about 27/40 Pte William Barras is that his first wounding probably took place on the 1st July 1916, but that it wasn't recorded until September 1916 in the regimental journal. On recovery he was transferred to the 11th & 24th Bn's, before ending up in 'A' Coy,23rd Bn. He was reported as "missing" between the 20th & 23rd March 1918.

He can be sourced in the following documents;- Irish Heroes - CWGC - Newcastle Chronicle - St.Georges Gazette Sept 1916 - Absent Voters List - Durham Advertiser - Catholic Chronicle - Medal Roll Sheets - December 1918 Enquiry List and now the MIC.

Graham.

Thanks Graham - there's plenty for me to look at there!

Looks like a trip home in the new year.

Mike

Hello

I'm looking for someone with some knowledge of the Northumberland Fusiliers.

Can anyone tell me anything about the service number for Pte William Barrass 27/40

who was serving with the 23rd Tyneside Scottish at the time of his death in March 1918.

His CWGC details are here.

Can I take it from the prefix to his service number that he was originally in the 27th Battalion

and that he was transferred to the 23rd after that battalion's disbandment?

If so isn't his number low for someone whose MIC does not refer to a 1915 star? I wondered if there was

another MIC somewhere but if so I can't find it. His MIC incidentally is mis-indexed as Norfolk Regiment.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Mike

Hello Mike, William Barrass was my Great uncle, my Grandmothers brother.......are you related in anyway