Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kings Liverpool Regiment History Weekend

Promenade

Those within striking distance may be interested in the following.

The Great War will feature greatly over the two days. There will be an opportunity to visit the excellent Kings Regt Museum (free) and also to consult the Kings (Liverpool) Great War Database which now runs to 67,000 entries. I have compiled this database over the last 5 years or so and will be happy to answer any questions on the day about setting up a regimental database using Access and then the hard job in populating it.

A number of people will be around with a knowledge of the regiment and many documents will be made available. These will hopefully include a selection of 55 Div records which include a great number of gallantry citations (inc MM and MID) note these are not exclusive to the KLR- these have recently been indexed. Access to the Museum of Liverpool Life is very easy and you should be able to park for free in the King's Dock. Finally for those interested in tunnelling Simon Jones is extremely knowledgeable on the subject and has appeared in a Great War tunnelling documentary on TV.

Hope to see you there

Any questions please e-mail me or the museum

Joe

--------------------------------

Kings Regiment Family History Weekend

6th & 7th September 2003

The event will be held in the Waterfront Room at the Museum of Liverpool

Life at 10.30am - 4pm.

The event will allow amateur historians to research numerous Data Bases relating to Military History

For more details contact: Simon Jones

Deputy Head of the Museum of Liverpool Life

Museum of Liverpool Life

Pier Head

Liverpool

L3 1PZ

www.museumofliverpoollife.org.uk

Neil Drum and myself will be attending this interesting weekend on the Saturday and look forward to meeting and chatting to old and new friends on the day. Our interest areas include 'The Lancashire Fusiliers', 'The Manchester Scottish' 'The Royal Scots' and 'Mem of Irlam & Cadishead in the Great War' & 'Ryedale at War' amongst others.

Good Luck & Best Wishes - Rodge Dowson

Although I can't be there, my compliments to the museum staff Joe. I visited last year and found it an excelent example of a medium sized regimental museum.

This museum and U534 on the other side of the Mersey made for a excelent day!

Regards,

Marco

• 2 weeks later...

This event seems to be getting good publicity locally.

As well as appealing to the likes of the Pals, hopefully it will stimulate interest amongst those who wouldn't consider themselves Great War enthusiasts.

As Joe has said, there will be a good deal of expertise available over the weekend and I hope to be bale to help people out with look-ups in the database of 55th Division honours and awards. This file contains the details of over 1,600 officers and men who were recommended the full range of awards from Mentions right up to VCs.

Fingers crossed for a good turnout.

Ken

Just a quick update on day 1 of this weekend's event:

A tremendous response from the public who were queuing to get in this morning and the queued filled up as fast as we could get through it.

It was good to see Carolyn, Neil & Rodge from the Pals - thanks for your support.

At the end of the day people were turned away and asked to come back tomorrow. Whilst we couldn't answer everyone's questions I don't think anyone went away without at least some pointers to assist them with further research.

The feedback I got was very positive all round.

I hope Sunday is as good.

Regards,

Ken

The day at Albert Dock on Saturday was superb, the King's Regiment, 'City Soldiers' Display at the Museum of Liverpool Life is excellent, as are the other FREE attractions there.

The Maritime Museum is another superb venue well worth a visit, Free parking and Free entry I was very impressed not to mention a really good Curry in the resteraunt!

The quality of the material and the way they it is displayed is of the highest museum conservation & display standard and a credit to all involved.

It was great for Neil and myself to see everyone including Hal, Joe, Ken & Simon and we thank them all for their time, hospitality and the stirling job they did, coping with so many numbers of the public - some desperatley seeking information regarding their relatives.

We look forward to coming back again and urge all to visit Liverpool and these excellent museums if you can it's a full day out. Thanks to Neil also for buying lunch. :)

Rodge Dowson & Neil Drum

The day at Albert Dock on Saturday was superb, the King's Regiment, 'City Soldiers' display at the Museum of Liverpool Life is excellent, as are the other FREE attractions there.

The Maritime Museum is another superb venue well worth a visit, Free parking and Free entry I was very impressed not to mention a really good Curry in the resteraunt!

The quality of the material and the way that it is displayed is of the highest museum conservation & display standard and a credit to all involved.

It was great for Neil and myself to see everyone including Hal, Joe, Ken & Simon and we thank them all for their time, hospitality and the stirling job they did, coping with so many numbers of the public - some desperatley seeking information regarding their relatives.

We look forward to coming back again and urge all to visit Liverpool and these excellent museums if you can, it's a full day out. Thanks again to Neil for buying lunch. :)

Rodge Dowson & Neil Drum