Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

More Naval Service Record Assistance

Paul Nixon

Could some of the experts help me out with the abbreviations on the attached please:

On the stamp, I presume Sto P.O. means Stoker Petty Officer but what does 3 months MTC mean?

What does Ld Btn mean? Leading Bosun?

Finally, Ti [?] Medal What is this?

This man was a regular sailor who had served 12 years in the Navy by the time Britain declared war on Germany. Any help the experts can give on these queries would be appreciated as ever.

Paul

post-563-1134018026.jpg

Paul,

Stoker Petty Officer,

MTC Mechanical Training Course,

Ld Btn, is Leading Boatman which is a Coastguard rating.

Cannot be specific on the medal but it would be time for his LSGC medal.

Regards Charles

Excellent Charles - thank you very much indeed. Is there a central resource which would tell me what all the abbreviations (particularly regarding ratings and sub-ratings) mean?

Paul

Edited by Paul Nixon

Paul,

Thats Volume I online, as far as Im aware Vol II is not online. Most references are in there but can take some finding, Leading Boatman 0404 for instance.

Charles

• 1 month later...

Paul

A bit late (just joined) but your "Ti" would infact be "TR" Medal this is an Abbv for TRACED Medal, ie has been issued with a LS&GC medal, not fully sure of the reasons necessary but it was a function required for Pension purposes.

This is explained, along with ratings seniority within specific trades/qualifications in any of the three books by the late Capt Kenneth Douglas-Morris RN. Naval Medals Vol 1 & 2 and The Naval Long Medal.

Hope it gives a further clue

Yours Aye

Dave H.

Paul,

As Dave mentions the 'Tr Medal' entry is indeed "Traced Medal" & this refers to his Long Service & Good Conduct medal which he received a gratuity for - the date 15 Nov '17 would be when his LSGC gratuity commenced.

"Rated Ld Btn" - means he was rated a Leading Boatman on 8 Dec '18, but I would have to see his entire SR to determine why a Stoker PO would have been rated in this rating - its a Coast Guard rating - he must have transferred to the CG in the WWI time frame.

I can see from the scan you have posted that his SR is continued on 301798 - which will be elsewhere in that ADM 188 vol.

If you could post his SR I might be of more help to you,

Bryan