Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMS Illegible

DamienB

Looking at the service records of a couple of relatives it is hard to decipher some of the writing, which is very faint and somewhat ornate in places!

I have identified 90% of the vessels or shore establishments mentioned, but the following elude me...

N.B. Larne (naval base Larne?)

HT DHS (possibly MT or NT DHS)

H.T. Comely (possibly N.T.Comely)

Nairn (no doubt about what it says but can't find any such ship)

S.ib5 Colleen - another record shows Sib5 or Sibs Queen in the remarks column - what's Sibs? I know what Queen and Colleen were.

?.T. Guillemot

H.T. Daisy II - is this the same Daisy II that rescued HMS Royal Oak survivors in WWII?

Finally on demobilisation one relative has a stamp mentioning he was discharged to the HM Naval Base at 'aberdeen', Galway. Was there a shore establishment called that in Galway?

Damien,

HMS Queen was the depot ship for the Adriatic net patrol and had 70/80 drifters on her books are some of the ships you want deciphering in brackets? Maybe posting the SC would help.

Regards Charles

As mentioned I know what Queen was but thanks anyway. Also turns out there was a HMS Larne so I think that one's solved. The others though - DHS, Comely, Nairn - any ideas on those?

And what 'Sib5' means? I note both times this appears it then mentions a ship that is a depot or base ship - could it be S.i.b.s. for "Stationed in base ship" or similar?

Found a strathnairn torpedoed and sunk.

guillemot - coaster - built 1894 cambletown shipbuilding co.

and dont know if these daisy (s) passenger/cargo sunk 1915.

and another was a coaster - 1904- built by Scotts Bowling.

Dont know if any of them match up.

Definitely Nairn, not Strathnairn.

Guillemot I have now found, thanks.

He was on Daisy II in February 1916 so can't be one sunk in 1915... and I see the 1904 one you mention was in the USA, so can't be that either...