Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Placename locations

Peter Beckett

I am doing some research for a friend regarding some Aussie soldiers from a small farming community in Gippsland, Victoria and have come across some placenames in a diary which I cant find and was wondering if anyone has either heard of them or more importantly, knows where they are

Rifle Villa House - possibly near Armentiers

Sercus possibly near Polygon Wood

Inxent

and the following 2 I have no problems with, having been there

Delville Wood

Switch Trench

Many thanks in advance

Peter B)

Terry,

many thanks. My brain is in neutral this morning :lol: .

I have just found Inxent, its just NNE of Etaples.

Well that great, now just Rifle Villa farm

Peter

Yves,

thats great! Can you point me in the right direction or even possibly give a trench map reference please

Peter

Just done a quick search and the river Lys is on the following maps:

Sheet 28 SW; 28 SE; 29 NW and 29 SW so I will get my trusty CD out

Peter

Good day Peter

I have a map showing the emplacement ..I think also that you can get it in the volumes of AIF medical Official history...on line AWM website

By the way what was the unit of the Australian soldier ?

Regards

Yves

Dear peter

Sorry mate but the 60th Bn belongs to the 15th Brigade 5th Aus Inf DIV ..they were slaughtered at Fromelles 19 July 1916. Lest We Forget

Regards

Yves

Sercus possibly near Polygon Wood

Peter B)

Peter,

Shame on you ! You didn't think of me ?! Who else could inform you better than I ? :(

I go to Sercus once a year (sometimes by bike). Sort of pilgrimage. My surname tells you why...

And Terry called it a "town" ?Well, that's too much honour I guess. Far too flattering. For all the times that I was there there was not even a cat in sight ! (Should your friend want a pic or two of the village church ...)

By the way, Sercus is 6 km (3 3/4 miles) south west of Hazebrouck (a town in France ; a real town that is). And Hazebrouck is 28 km (17 1/2 miles) south west of Ypres. And Ypres is ... Well, you have to find that out yourself ! ;)

Also this : I'm pretty sure that this is the Sercus you mean. I've never heard of a place with the same name near Polygon Wood.

Aurel

Peter,

I agree with Aurel: Sercus is in the place where he says it is and I think it will be there for a long time to come. I was there with Aurel in October and we visited the Estaminet de Sercu for some gin (Aurel , careful driver that he is, drank a lemonade). This estaminet is an absolute must visit: the bar is something out of a distant past and one can well imagine that it was the same in 1918, apart from the drinks, that is.There is only bottled beer, I am afraid.

The landscape is enchanting, too. Brueghelian I would call it: gently rolling, a few steeples in the distance and an occasional farmstead. In winter one could imagine being inside Brueghel's HUNTERS IN WINTER.

All the best,

Fred

This estaminet is an absolute must visit: the bar is something out of a distant past and one can well imagine that it was the same in 1918,

Fred

I'm afraid that once again I have to disagree with Fred, whose eysesight and mind may have been misty by the excess of gin so early in the morning . The landlady did look old indeed. But then : not that old!

(Fred, take my advice : drink champaign. The only beverage it is said that makes women look younger. :rolleyes:

Aurel

John ,

Yes, what a marvellous picture it is, isn't it?

Aurel,

No , I was not referring to the lady, whom, you might like to know I addressed with my usual courtesy as 'jeune fille'. But alas, the Northern Frenchwomen are immune to such gallantries.

All the best,

Fred

Dear peter

Sorry mate but the 60th Bn belongs to the 15th Brigade 5th Aus Inf DIV ..they were slaughtered at Fromelles 19 July 1916. Lest We Forget

Regards

Yves

Yves,

sorry about that but thats the info I was given :rolleyes: .

Looks like I will have to get more info from my source.

Peter

Aurel, I thought about you when I saw the name :lol:

Yves,

thats great! Can you point me in the right direction or even possibly give a trench map reference please

Peter

Peter.

Rue du Bois - 36SW S9 & S10

Sailly sur la Lys - 36NW C16 & C22

(They're about 11 miles apart!)

D.

Peter.

Rue du Bois - 36SW S9 & S10

Sailly sur la Lys - 36NW C16 & C22

(They're about 11 miles apart!)

D.

I just noticed that you have the Trenchmap CD which, I believe, doesnt't have the 1:20,000 maps (the references I gave). On the 1:10,000 maps the references are as follows...

Rue du Bois is on the "Richebourg" maps - 36SW3 S9 and S10

Sailly sur la Lys is on the "Fleurbaix" map - 36NW3 C16 and C22.

D.