Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MENTION IN DESPATCHES

Coldstreamer

Hello

Could you get a MID if you spent the war in the UK?

Cheers Ian

There are specific MID Gazettes for ones in the UK. I'll find the reference but Dinner calls!

Steve.

Certainly & if no medals awarded the Emblem would be worn directly on the Coat{or more usually a Uniform coloured piece of material of equal size to a Medal ribbon.

I too have a RFC/RAF WW1/2 group of a Sergeant Clerk Skillington from Peterborough {who had served in the RFC in WW1}@ RAF Peterborough who was Mentioned in Dispatches twice for his Clerical duties in the 1940s.[including one with a citation]

In World War I Class B Mentions were also awarded, mostly for home service. These were published in The Times rather than the London Gazette and did not carry the right to wear an Oak-Leaf Emblem. Dick Flory

Cheers all

just wondered as have seen a group for sale with a MID but he isnt recorded in the CG records as being MID - and always found the records accurate

Ian

Regarding Dick's comment on the Class B Mention, I have a war/victory medal pair to Captain.W.A.Fowler, Canadian Army Pay Corps, who earned both types. As a pay sergeant at HQ in London in 1917, his name was brought to the notice of the Secretary of State for War in 1917 (a "B" List mention); then, in 1918 he was Mentioned in Despatches as the pay officer for the 2nd Bn., Canadian Machine Gun Corps (an "A" List award).

He was entitled to wear the MID oakleaf device on his victory medal for his "A" mention.

• 1 month later...

Hello

any one know how to access these class B MID's ?

Ian

I can access the Times Online. Anyone in particular?

The search engine is not as good at the Gazette's though!! (It's a little more flexible, but even more hit and miss due to the Times' typeface. No wonder a font like "Times New Roman" never caught on!)

So no guarantees...

Steve.

Hello

No one special - just wondered if any Coldstream Gds mentioned - I know at least one was

How do you access the times ? Do you need to subsribe as only seen it in use once during some promo week when you could get on it. Found some great articles too ...

Cheers

Ian

Ian

Are you a member of Cambridgeshire Libraries?

If you are then you can access the Times online through their website as they subscribe to it. If not then I suggest you pop down to your local library and join, it's definitely worth it for the access alone.

Regards

Steve

Steve

I will dig out my card and get it sorted out

Cheers

Ian

Hello

I am in!

Luckily the missus is out and left her cards .. a quick nosey and hey presto a library card :ph34r:

Ian

We'll see you in a few weeks then....

Steve.

Hello

Just need broad band now...so still plenty of time between pages

Ian