Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Borders in Italy, 1918

Mark Hone

A close friend at school is researching the career of her grandfather, Robert Bragg, a pre-war regular Lancashire Fusilier who ended up in 2nd Borders and went up and down the NCO ladder! Last summer I was able to take her to the place near Gheluvelt where he won the MM in October 1917. She is now keen to find out more about his subsequent service in Italy with a view to visiting the Piave in the future. I have a copy of the excellent 'British Army in Italy' by Wilks and Wilks but sadly 2nd Borders merit precisely one sentence on p 156! Does anyonne have any further info? I don't have access to the Borders' Regimental history but am under the impression it's not terribly good.

Incidentally she has unearthed a copy of the splendid 7th Division Christmas card for 1917. It's one of the best of its kind I've ever seen with an extremely good line drawing of Tommies in a trench and a miniature of the ruined Cloth Hall at Ypres.

Edited by Mark Hone

Hi Mark,

I have the Official History and will provide what detail I can in the next few days.

Take care,

Neil

This post:

has some useful information.

Regards

Richard

Thanks for the info and offer of help. My friend is talking about a possible trip there in about 18 months time, so I'll have to begin my research! I think there's a Battleground Europe book on the campaign.

Edited by Mark Hone

Hi Mark

The Defeat of Austria as seen by the Seventh Division covers the from the time it left the Asiago Plateau in Aug 1918 till the conclusion of the armistice with Austria on Nov 4 1918. By Rev. E. C. Rrosse, DSO MC.. Cheers Roy