Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Old Soldier Sahib -David Langley annotations

squirrel

Just received the reprint with deatiled appendices,annotations and superb photographs from David Langley. And it is signed by Richards' daughter. Splendid job all round.

Richards' book is a great read and utterly absorbing but the extra work has really brought it to life.

Just a caution though, if, as I did, you start reading it in bed keep an eye on the clock; I put it down at 1.05am this morning.

LB.

didn't manage to look at OSS agin last night but wondered who is in the the picture on the dust jacket. Is Richards the one second from right? Couldn't find a reference to the picture on the jacket info.

You'll probalby tell me that the photo is captioned on one of the sets of photos in the book that I have not yet come too. If so no reply expected.

I find myself extremely interested in the pre-War Army and have been meaning to look up Old Soldier Sahib from used book vendors. Since this newer annotated volume is available, may I ask how to purchase it. I live in the US, so currency exchange might be problematic.

Thanks,

Drummer

LB.

didn't manage to look at OSS agin last night but wondered who is in the the picture on the dust jacket. Is Richards the one second from right? Couldn't find a reference to the picture on the jacket info.

You'll probalby tell me that the photo is captioned on one of the sets of photos in the book that I have not yet come too. If so no reply expected.

Jacket photo probably 1912 and certainly after FR left India/ 2RWF. Group is part of a huge photo showing most of 2RWF on manoevres. Officer on extreme left is 2Lt Loscombe Law Stable, who died a hero's death bringing in a wounded man in October 1914, by which time he was a Captain 2RWF. Buried at Pont du Hem. I have his letters to home.

Edited by langleybaston1418

I find myself extremely interested in the pre-War Army and have been meaning to look up Old Soldier Sahib from used book vendors. Since this newer annotated volume is available, may I ask how to purchase it. I live in the US, so currency exchange might be problematic.

Thanks,

Drummer

e-mail me to set up a deal. Decide if you want air or surface mail..most of my US customers get folding money sterling and send that.

Lb

thanks for the info on the photo on the jacket cover. Super photograph -you can almost feel the heat.