Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gnr Henry Stringer, RGA, 99coy, Malta

quilltowin

I know my grandfather and uncle - both named Henry John Stringer and both from Birmingham - served in the Great War. Henry 1 was born 9 Aug 1869. Henry 2 was born 14 Sept 1896.

The only documentary evidence I have is a New Testament (with a Red Cross on the cover with the inscription "Presented to Gnr H. Stringer, RGA, 99 Coy, Malta". Family legend has it that grandfather was at the Dardenelles. Both survived.

Any information that helps me understand the circumstances and any guidance that will help me to find out more will be greatly appreciated.

Edited by quilltowin

If either were married you should consider searching the overseas [and etc.] birth marriage [and perhaps deaths] registers for references to marriage & birth certificates. If any are recorded you might find ref to units etc including rank and other details.

The National Arcives [used to be PRO] has some records for artillery [including what became RGA] coastal units and also for some of the companies at the outbreak of war. These can include lists of names, but this is not complete and it is a time consuming search.

Try also the individual service records of which some 40% war soldiers survive.

Also try their medal records - follow other threads for this on MIC etc

Hope this helps.

Try the Royal Artillery Historical Trust at Woolwich and visit to look at unit records for the RGA units at the Dardenelles [do you know the dates] - there cant be that many and you may be lucky to find a reference [they probably will be limited in what they can search and a personal visit more valueable].

Alan