Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with a MIC please

Guest Mike42

Hi , I need help on this MIC please.

I am interested in the remarks section. I know that this man was in the RE (TF) and maybe in the 47th London division, but that is where I am stuck. Does anything in the remarks section give up any more information ? !! Also how do I go on from this point if this is all I have to go on ?

Many thanks

Mike

post-3542-1133945511.jpg

There is this announcement in the London Gazette 15-9-1920:

TERRITORIAL FORCE RESERVE.

Engineers.—

Lt. P. S. Hudson, from 2nd London Div. Engrs., to be Lt. 16th Sept. 1920.

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...&selHonourType=

And;

London Gazette 1-2-1922

War Office,

1st February, 1922.

TERRITORIAL ARMY.

The undermentioned Offrs. relinquish their commns., 30th Sept. 1921, under A.O. 166/1921, as amended by A.O. 352/1921, and retain their rank, except where otherwise stated: —

TERRITORIAL ARMY RESERVE.

Engrs.—

Lt. P. S. Hudson.

No guarantee that it is him but the information fits... 2nd London Engineers being the 47th Division certainly lines up.

As for places to go. War Diaries for the 47th Division Royal Engineers (4 units - 3 field companies and the Signal Company) at the NA looks favourite, and checking for Officers Records at the NA, too.

Steve.

Mike,

To further your knowledge about this man you need a trip to the National Archives at Kew, London, either in person or by someone doing it on your behalf.

The Medal Index Card is the index to the Medal Rolls and they contain more detail (usually) than the MIC itself.

Then there are the Officers' Service Records which can be very comprehensive. Again, they should be held at the National Archives unless he served again after the 1921 date Steve gives above. If he did serve again then his records may still be with the MOD and inaccessible.

If you aren't in a position to get to the NA yourself, there are plenty of researchers who will do it for you, for a fee. This can be excellent value if you are some distance away. If you need a recommendation for a researcher just ask on this thread and I'm sure plnety of people will send you a private message.

Hope that helps,

Ken