Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Forgotten Voices of the Great War

Raster Scanning

This book has some interesting transcripts from the IWM WW1 sound archive. I was interested to read Tom Adlam's description of the action that let to his VC award, but was disappointed to see his unit listed as the Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire Rgt, as they did not exist during WW1.

Another man is listed as being in the Bedfordshire Fusiliers (a unit that has never existed) and on the same page (correctly) the 2nd Beds.

As the Mr Arthur has basically compiled a book by transcribing other peoples words, the least he could have done is researched their units correctly.

This said, the recollections make great reading.

John.

As the Mr Gifford has basically compiled a book by transcribing other peoples words, the least he could have done is researched their units correctly.

And possibly got the authors name right too? :D

Ooops.

Not sure where that came from :blink:

... was disappointed to see his unit listed as the Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire Rgt, as they did not exist during WW1.

Another man is listed as being in the Bedfordshire Fusiliers (a unit that has never existed) and on the same page (correctly) the 2nd Beds.

As the Mr Arthur has basically compiled a book by transcribing other peoples words, the least he could have done is researched their units correctly.

This said, the recollections make great reading.

Agree with you John - the recollections are good reading, but it is very frustrating. I was somewhat annoyed with the two errors you picked up below.

It could do with a more explanatory context. For example, Cpl Clifford Lane of 1/1 Hertfordshires (118 Bde, 39 Div) is quoted throughout. He interests me as I am researching that unit. As a pre-war territorial he appears to have been one of the few who went right through the war on the W Front with the battalion. Some comment to this effect and how uncommon it was would have 'added value' to the bare account. Also on p.221 Lane refers to the Herts attack on 31 July 1917 - a sentence from Mr Arthur to state that the Herts were destroyed as a unit would have set the context for the quote. (In fact the Herts lost 20 Officers and 459 ORs killed, wounded and missing i.e. of those who took part in the attack 100% of the officers and 75% of the ORs were casualties.)

Also after the unit of the person quoted, it would have been helpful to have put in their Division (and possibly the Bde) where possible. I dont think that would have taken much additional effort.

Maybe I'm just picky, but I for one will be getting rid of my copy when I have copied the bits I want. I feel Lyn Macdonald does this sort of thing much better.

Charles.

I thought the captions to the pictures a little weak as well.

I would like to find out more about the 2 under age soldiers shot for desertion mentioned by Pte William Holmes of the 12th Londons. They were about the same age as my eldest son.

I found Holmes's quote interesting.

"every soldier, directly he arrived in France, was read out the war facts. Every man had come out to fight. For the mere disobedience of an officer you could be shot. So we knew that. And so we took punishment as a fact of life"

John.

• 2 weeks later...

I was speaking to one of the geezers in Foyles in London the other day and he said that next month this book is coming out paperback and is also coming out on CD and audio tape.

• 1 year later...

Oddly enough this book and Alan Clark's The Donkey's are the only two on sale at the Duke of York's theatre where Journey's End is running. It almost begs the question if the publishers sponsored the play to increase impulse book sales by people who suddenly become fascinated by the Great War after seeing the play versus those who have studied it a bit more and know the real value of these books. Just a thought... Andy