Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

TF/New Army Artillery

KONDOA

Evening Chums,

Back to one of the old chestnuts regarding early artillery formations.

1st (11th) Hull Heavy battery formed 1914 by East yorks TF Association as a New Army Battery. Seems straight forward enough.

Completes training with 30th Div at Charlton Park in 1915 after acceptance by the WO and then all members are asked to volunteer for service in East Africa.

Do we have any other instances of such goings on?? It seems to be a hybrid arrangement .

Comments or enlightenment appreciated.

Roop

post-7376-1133905242.jpg

post-7376-1133905272.jpg

post-7376-1133905324.jpg

Roop,

Other "Pals" units raised by T.F.A.'s taken from the official War Office List of "Locally Raised Units".

Graham.

Ace stuff Graham, thanks again.

Just seemed odd being asked to volunteer for OS service despite New Army foundations.

Roop

I might be missing the point here, but I believe the Territorial Force was only meant for home service unless individual soldiers signed "The Imperial Agreement" that authorized overseas service. That would account for the "volunteering". I don't know if this was an issue later in the war, (and if I'm wrong about this, PLEASE correct me) but I have several photos of groups of soldiers (taken just after mobilization) - some are prominently wearing the Imperial Agreement tab on their uniforms, some aren't. Am I close to the truth (and the issue)?

Mike Morrison

Hi Mike,

I guess slightly off target. The bettery in question is definitely new army but being raised by a TF A as agents for the WO. Thus strictly speaking they should not have had to volunteer, they could have been sent anyway. I just wondered if similar instances of New Army batteries underwent a volunteer request.

Roop