Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sir John jellicoe

bart592

Hi Everyone

I`ve just finished reading the book called the Tenth Cruiser Squardron during the Battle Of Jutland the Captain of this ship that my grandfather might have been on was on leave in Glasgow does that mean that there was a stand-in Captain and the ship could have been there, or was he posted to another ship

The Captains signature on Charles F Le Clercq conduct John Jellicoe

Did Sir John Jellicoe captain a ship during this battle

Bart

Bart,

Can you be more specific about the book - it all sound a bit odd. There was no Tenth Cruiser Squadron at the battle of Jutland. See D. Macintyre, Jutland, London, 1957 for a fleet list, in which you will also discover that Jellicoe was the fleet commander with his flag in HMS Iron Duke.

It would be worth googling "Tenth Cruiser Squadron" - there are some interesting results about the ships of this squadron which formed the northern patrol.

Best wishes,

David

Edited by David Seymour

Bart,

Can you be more specific about the book - it all sound a bit odd. There was no Tenth Cruiser Squadron at the battle of Jutland. See D. Macintyre, Jutland, London, 1957 for a fleet list, in which you will also discover that Jellicoe was the fleet commander with his flag in HMS Iron Duke.

It would be worth googling "Tenth Cruiser Squadron" - there are some interesting results about the ships of this squadron which formed the northern patrol.

Best wishes,

David

This is what i`ve got to go on so far.

Im being to think that he must have been on a different ship not recorded in his Service History maybe HMS Iron Duke

Thanks any information is great

Bart

Bart,

Its unlikely to be the signature of Jellicoe, unless you can place him onboard the ship in Dec/Jan.

At the end of 1916 Jellicoe became First Sea Lord as the government wished to bring fresh ideas into a lethargic Admiralty. His place in charge of the Grand Fleet was taken by Admiral Sir David Beatty. Jellicoe opposed the use of the convoy system to deal with the U-boat threat in the spring of 1917, but was responsible for its successful introduction after an intervention by Prime Minister Lloyd George. However, Jellicoe was exhausted after years in command of the Grand Fleet and on Christmas Eve 1917 he was abruptly dismissed by Eric Geddes, the new First Lord of the Admiralty.

Regards Charles

Bart,

Its unlikely to be the signature of Jellicoe, unless you can place him onboard the ship in Dec/Jan.

At the end of 1916 Jellicoe became First Sea Lord as the government wished to bring fresh ideas into a lethargic Admiralty. His place in charge of the Grand Fleet was taken by Admiral Sir David Beatty. Jellicoe opposed the use of the convoy system to deal with the U-boat threat in the spring of 1917, but was responsible for its successful introduction after an intervention by Prime Minister Lloyd George. However, Jellicoe was exhausted after years in command of the Grand Fleet and on Christmas Eve 1917 he was abruptly dismissed by Eric Geddes, the new First Lord of the Admiralty.

Regards Charles

Thanks Joseph

Im so confused, the more i learn the less i know

Many Thanks

Bart

Bart,

This is the only book about the Tenth Cruiser Squadron that I can find on the Bodleian web catalogue. Is this the book which you have read?

Tenth Cruiser Squadron, Northern Patrol: from the diaries and letters of Captain H. C. R. Brocklebank, C.B.E., Royal Navy, July 1914-August 1917 / edited by Joan Brocklebank

Author: Brocklebank, Henry Cyril Royds, 1874-1957.

Publisher: [Dorchester:] : [Joan Brocklebank,], [1974]

Best wishes,

David