Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Patrick Joseph RYAN - cavalryman

Guest Arranroots

Guest Arranroots

Hi, I am new here, so please be kind! :)

Looking for info on Patrick Joseph RYAN (abt 1876 - 1922)

Joined the Army as a volunteer, we believe, from Ireland. Was a cavalryman, mentioned in dispatches according to family story, which also says that his parents bought him out of the Army twice! I cannot find him prior to 1901, but possibly he is a soldier in the Channel Islands on the 1901 census. We believe he came from Waterford and his father's name was Denis. He settled in Neath.

On another forum, "Mack" has suggested that my man could be

"pte 1230 king edwards horse,then pte in the lancashire fusiliers No40593,then back to the king edwards as corporal 1230,then commissioned as a 2nd lieutenant with the royal munster fusiliers"

By 1912 he was married and living in Neath, Glamorgan. I am not sure whether he served in the Great War or not (suspect not), but he died 23 January 1922 "of a broken heart" - he hated to leave the army, apparently.

I am interested in Patrick as my grandfather-in-law and would be grateful for any information about him - especially anything that points to next of kin.

Many thanks for reading and for any help you can offer

Hi, I am new here, so please be kind! :)

Looking for info on Patrick Joseph RYAN (abt 1876 - 1922)

Joined the Army as a volunteer, we believe, from Ireland. Was a cavalryman, mentioned in dispatches according to family story, which also says that his parents bought him out of the Army twice! I cannot find him prior to 1901, but possibly he is a soldier in the Channel Islands on the 1901 census. We believe he came from Waterford and his father's name was Denis. He settled in Neath.

On another forum, "Mack" has suggested that my man could be

"pte 1230 king edwards horse,then pte in the lancashire fusiliers No40593,then back to the king edwards as corporal 1230,then commissioned as a 2nd lieutenant with the royal munster fusiliers"

By 1912 he was married and living in Neath, Glamorgan. I am not sure whether he served in the Great War or not (suspect not), but he died 23 January 1922 "of a broken heart" - he hated to leave the army, apparently.

I am interested in Patrick as my grandfather-in-law and would be grateful for any information about him - especially anything that points to next of kin.

Many thanks for reading and for any help you can offer

Hi Arranroots and Welcome!!

I wonder if you have seen this site for the Royal Munster Fusiliers? it may give you some background!!

http://www.waterfordcountymuseum.org/exhib...e/31/5/?lang=en

The Regiment disbanded in 1922 - maybe that's what upset Patrick!!

Annie

Guest Arranroots

Hi Annie

Thanks for the welcome!

I have had a read of the site. Just as soon as I am sure which regiment my man belonged to, I will be as excited as can be - only lacking the certainty at the moment.

As I say, I don't THINK he served much past his marriage in 1912, but ten years is a long time to grieve for a lost career! So who knows? (And if you do, please tell me!)

Arranroots

Hi Annie

Thanks for the welcome!

I have had a read of the site. Just as soon as I am sure which regiment my man belonged to, I will be as excited as can be - only lacking the certainty at the moment.

As I say, I don't THINK he served much past his marriage in 1912, but ten years is a long time to grieve for a lost career! So who knows? (And if you do, please tell me!)

Arranroots

Do you have any paperwork at all ? - you said that he had been bought out twice - is that just hearsay? any photo's of him in uniform ?

Annie :rolleyes:

Guest Arranroots
Do you have any paperwork at all ? - you said that he had been bought out twice - is that just hearsay? any photo's of him in uniform ?

Annie :rolleyes:

Both good questions Annie: the answer is NO!

He died when father-in-law was 4 and the family were very hard up. Don't know what would have happened to any paperwork. All we know is family stories that he was bought out, went back in and was bought out again. His parents set him up in a business (coal merchant?) in Neath, which was not a success.

HELP!!

Edited by Arranroots

Both good questions Annie: the answer is NO!

He died when father-in-law was 4 and the family were very hard up. Don't know what would have happened to any paperwork. All we know is family stories that he was bought out, went back in and was bought out again. His parents set him up in a business (coal merchant?) in Neath, which was not a success.

HELP!!

Hi!

I was hoping maybe Stebie would check the London Gazette - you never know there may be something there!!

If he doesn't pick this up - maybe we could PM him and ask for advice!!

Annie :)

Patrick Joseph Ryan:

The only references are on the civil service approval lists in 1904, 1905 and 1922 were a Patrick Joseph Ryan is approved as a postman...

Several P J Ryans:

Royal Munster Fusiliers

LG 9-12-1919

Temp. 2nd Lt. P. J. Ryan relinquishes his commission on completion of service, 2 Nov. 1919, and retains the rank of 2nd Lt.

Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

LG 4-11-1918

R. Innis. Fus.—2nd Lt. P. J. Ryan to be Lt. 12th Sept. 1918.

LG 6-1-1919

R. Innis. Fus.—Lt. P. J. Ryan is placed on the h.p. List on account of ill-health caused by wounds. 7th Jan. 1919.

LG 13-1-1919

Lt. P. J. Ryan, h.p. List, retires on ret. pay on account of ill-health caused by wounds. 7th Jan. 1919.

LG 15-8-1919

Lt. P. J. Ryan, from the h.p. Last, is restd. to the estabt. , with precedence next below T. T. Macartney Filgate. 7th Jan. 1919.

Royal Fusiliers DCM

LG 16-1-1919

7940 Sjt. P. J. Ryan, 11th Bn., R. Fus. (Marylebone).

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty during the crossing of the Ancre on the early morning of 22nd August, 1918, when two platoons of the company of which he was A/C.S.M. were held up in the marshes, he went back under intense machine-gun fire, reorganised them, and guided them by the only path by which it was possible to advance. Throughout six days' fighting he showed great coolness and enterprise.

(Probably not our man)

LG 26-1-1922

CORPS OF ROYAL ENGINEERS.

The undermentioned temp. 2nd Lts. relinquish their commns. on completion of service. 1st Sept. 1921, and retain the rank

of 2nd Lt. : —

P. J. Ryan

Thats all...

Steve.

Guest Arranroots

Hi Steve

As you say - probably not our man - but thanks for going to the trouble of looking.

I wonder if anyone has any other suggestions?

I have heard such great things about this forum, but maybe I have too little info to achieve much?

kind regards, Arranroots

• 2 weeks later...