Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Leys, Evesham - seeking a building's provenance

Dragon

I had time to kill in Evesham earlier on this year and decided to track down some drill halls for Graeme’s drill hall database. I was aware of the address in Merstowe Green (contemporary sources indicate that they used the Trumpet Inn) and I discovered the one in Bengeworth on contemporary maps backed up by source texts.

During my quest, a local person told me that ‘the drill hall’ was on The Leys and assured me that if I went along there I’d find the Mick Sharpe Memorial Centre which he was confident is ‘definitely’ pre-Great War.

This is it. I am not convinced, and nor was Graeme, partly because I couldn’t find any supporting documentary evidence. partly because of its small size. There have been alterations, though. There's clearly been at least a window, and maybe even a door, as the brickwork is slightly misaligned and there's a window lintel arch. Seen from the road, the front part of the building is apparently a later addition. Walking round it, my suspicion is that the original front and front door has been obscured by the extension, and the door at the rear has replaced it. The words over the door are ‘Memorial Building’. (Much of this is not visible in this small picture.)

I wondered whether anyone in the Evesham area had any definitive information on these premises?

Many thanks

Gwyn

Gwyn

This snippet is taken fron the Avonbank Evesham Bands web-site. It explains the Mick Sharp connection but does not I'm afraid date the building except possibly the extension.

Avonbank was formed in the ancient market town of Evesham in 1948 as an offshoot of the local Methodist Church's youth club. By 1954 the band became self supporting and serving its local community. in 1991 Avonbank qualified for the national finals of the British Brass Band Championships (Third Section) and was subsequently promoted to the second section in 1992. Funding from the National Lottery enabled Avonbank to open its own bandroom, named in memory of one of its founding members, Mick Sharp.

The Band can be contacted at stefan@avonbankbrass.co.uk

Dave

I had time to kill in Evesham earlier on this year and decided to track down some drill halls for Graeme’s drill hall database. I was aware of the address in Merstowe Green (contemporary sources indicate that they used the Trumpet Inn) and I discovered the one in Bengeworth on contemporary maps backed up by source texts.

I asked a local about this, there was a Drill Hall in The Leys - will print and show the photo tomorrow to see if she can confirm if this is the building.

Kelly's Worcestershire 1912 has three entries:

Salvation Army Barracks, The Leys (which could be this building?)

2. Territorial Force Battalion (8th) Worcestershire Regiment (D Co.; Capt. Norman G. Harry, commanding; Lieut. Richard H. Burlingham; Sergt. John Wall, drill instructor), Drill Hall, Merstow Green

Wall, John, drill instructor to D Co 8th Territorial Force Battalion Worcestershire Regiment, Drill Hall, Merstow Green.

Thanks, Dave and Geoff. I wonder whether the band would know.

The Salvation Army premises are a few doors down the Leys, on the same side of the road. I have an open mind about whether they would use this as an additional building.

I have the Kelly material (Graeme gave me a copy of his database). Merstowe Green is in the centre of the town, opposite the museum and the Trumpet Inn is still there, though its facade has been altered. The Leys is about a mile and a half away, on the other side of the river, but I don't know the name of the district. I looked on old maps in the library, and could see that the Bengeworth drill hall was marked, but there was nothing on or in the area of the Leys.

If your contact can confirm the presence of a drill hall (maybe even on the site of the hall I've pictured) I'd be very grateful, especially if she has any more details or any memories.

Gwyn

Seen from the road. Sorry about the cars (not mine!).

The Salvation Army premises are a few doors down the Leys, on the same side of the road. I have an open mind about whether they would use this as an additional building.

That's right - just checked. The only other buildings in the road are a factory next to the Salvation Army and the rest is old terraced housing, so the drill hall most probably is the Memorial Hall.

is about a mile and a half away, on the other side of the river, but I don't know the name of the district. I looked on old maps in the library, and could see that the Bengeworth drill hall was marked, but there was nothing on or in the area of the Leys.

If your contact can confirm the presence of a drill hall (maybe even on the site of the hall I've pictured) I'd be very grateful, especially if she has any more details or any memories.

I think Bengeworth start over the bridge, so The Leys would also be in Bengeworth. Does not seem to be any Evesham natives on the forum....

May know more tomorrow....

Thanks, Geoff.

I took a picture of the Bengeworth drill hall, Coronation Street, while I was in Evesham. The Bengeworth one was definitely in use in 1914.

Gwyn

Seen from the road. Sorry about the cars (not mine!).

The red brick buildings on the right in this photo are on Port Street.

Listed in Kelly's 1912, under places of worship:

Memorial Buildings (Mission Rooms), Port Street; 6 p.m.; fri 7 p. m. (during the winter months).

Since the hall entrance faces Port Street, perhaps this was the way in and the car park had other buildings on (no car parks in 1900s!)