Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British taking over from the French on the Somme

J Banning

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend any sources/books or does anyone have any comments about the British taking over the Somme area from the French in summer 1915? I am always intrigued at the differences in 'trench etiquette' (for want of a better expression) between French and British troops. I have always read that the British thought the French trenches were filthy (no disrespect intended for our Gallic pals)! Is there any literature on this period?

Oh, and one more thing - was it July or August 1915 that the Tommies relieved our French allies in that area? I have read contrasting dates.

Many thanks

Ralph

Good day Ralph

In the unit diary of the French 118e RI 44th brigade 22nd French Inf div : on 28 july 1915 the 118eRI was relieved by British troops in the sector of Albert/ Méaulte.

Regards

Yves

"The IWM Book of the Somme"by Malcolm Brown. "The Somme". General Sir A. Farrar-Hockley, will get you going. I wouldn't pay too much attention to reports of different standards if I were you. Much the same thing was said about different British troops by their countrymen from different regions. A difference that did exist and was important was the standard of medical care at and near the front.

Ralph

This is an interesting topic. I gave the subject about 2,000 words in Chapter 2 of The German Army on the Somme The change came as a rude shock to the German army and they spent some time confirming that it had actually happened. If you don't have a copy, or can't get at one, ask your library.

Jack

Ralph,

I know one thing about the french - they weren't short of ammo for their Lebel rifles, in my experience you will usually find more live and spent French Lebel cartridges when field walking than you will Lee Enfield or Mauser rounds.

I find this odd, as presumably these were fired before 1916 when the sector was relatively "quiet"?

Rob.

Ralph

This is an interesting topic. I gave the subject about 2,000 words in Chapter 2 of The German Army on the Somme The change came as a rude shock to the German army and they spent some time confirming that it had actually happened. If you don't have a copy, or can't get at one, ask your library.

Jack

Hi Jack,

Thanks for the info and also thanks to all the others who posted. Well, it certainly seems like I have a lot of reading to be getting on with! By the way Jack, your book is not in the entire Bristol City Library collection. I will place a request for it for them to buy it in. Perhaps your publisher could make some enquiries?

Thanks again

Ralph