Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Picture of Smith-Dorrien and several other Staff - 1914

Anthony Pigott

I recently acquired this postcard. I've not seen the picture before. Apart from the fairly obvious S.-D. and French (actually, not so obvious - see later posts), can you identify the other officers in the picture?

Close-ups to follow.

Regards

Anthony

post-1243-1133870466.jpg

Edited by Anthony Pigott

Close-up of French?:

post-1243-1133878565.jpg

Close-up of S.-D.:

post-1243-1133905842.jpg

Rider in foreground:

post-1243-1133904841.jpg

Rider behind S.-D.:

post-1243-1133902588.jpg

I don`t think that`s French, Anthony. It doesn`t look like him and the caption doesn`t say it is! He actually looks more like Robertson. Retires to dugout. :ph34r: Phil B

Anthony,

Niether man seems to be Forestier-Walker, knowing my luck he is the man out of sight to Sd's right!!

regards

Arm

I don`t think that`s French, Anthony. It doesn`t look like him and the caption doesn`t say it is! He actually looks more like Robertson. Retires to dugout. :ph34r: Phil B

Phil

I think you're right that it isn't French. I did quickly compare it to some other pictures of French and one in particular has the head at a similar angle and is very much like this one. However, I have now seen that this man only has one line of campaign ribbons, which would rule out French (unless he was trying to be modest!)

I'll see if I can get a bit better image by digital tinkering. I was obviously in too much of a hurry this morning.

Regards

Anthony

He does look a bit like Robertson. The second one that is.

Could the bottom caption not mean something like General Smith Dorrien, chief of staff of General French. Could be a wrongly captioned but well intended postcard?

Dunno about the officers - but I'll bet SD's bodyguard are North Irish Horse!

I wil try to post relevant pic to explain.

Des

Close-up of the chaps on the left:

post-1243-1133892050.jpg

See Montford

The Sir George White Memorial Coy. Boys' Brigade, Broughshane, has a roll of honour of members serving with the colours. BB Lieutenant John Montford, who is a sergeant in the North Irish Horse, is attached to the body-guard of General Smith Dorrien. Staff Sgt. D. J. Mullan has received a clerkship in the Royal Engineers and Pte Wm.McClure is serving with the Royal Irish Rifles quartered at Dublin.

December 4, 1914

Des - yes I think that's yer man.

What connection did S-D have with that unit or was it just a chance attachment on the Western Front ?

Yes, I thought Robertson - a big lad - too big for French - but with a good seat on a horse befitting a life long cavalry man - pity the horse though !

Anthony,

Could you blow the other side of the pic up so I could see the man over SD's left shoulder and also the front officer could do with being better.

regards

Arm

Anthony,

Could you blow the other side of the pic up so I could see the man over SD's left shoulder and also the front officer could do with being better.

regards

Arm

Those two are posts 4 and 5. I've just replaced the images with hopefully slightly better ones. I'm afraid we're at the limit of the resolution of the print.

Anthony

thanks Anthony,

Still none the wiser I'm afraid.

Though the front chap does seem to be an older officer. If assuming that this is taken on the advance to Mons rather than retreat, less haste etc. Could it be someone like the commander of lines of communications General Robb.

just a guess!

regards

Arm

I was sure that French used a troop belonging to the 21st Lancers as his bodygaurd. They were the only members of the 21st Lancers to go to France as the rest of the regiment was based in India throughout the war.

... Could the bottom caption not mean something like General Smith Dorrien, chief of staff of General French. Could be a wrongly captioned but well intended postcard?

I think 'chef d'état-major' best translates as 'chief of staff' at least in modern useage. So, is that part of the caption wrong or is Murray in the photo. and the reference to S.-D. wrong? One might assume that the chap in the foreground was the main subject.

Regards

Anthony

I looked to Murray but can not see him!

Perhaps it means a General of FM French?

regards

Arm

This probabaly a dim question, but what's the significance of the arm-bands that some are wearing?

Anthony

Anthony,

I think thye are a staff 'tag'

regards

Arm