Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Looking for Royal Scot and Gordon Highlander info....

hrebing

Hello all......

I have received so much information about a Seaforth GGUncle from all of you in just one day, I thought it was time that I tried to see about my G Grandad......I have many photos and some documentation on him and his brother but not a thing about their time in the War.

My GGrandfather William Walker Madden joined the Royal Scots as a 16 year old, I believe in 1914 and he was wounded quite severely in the leg we think in 1916 ...some in our family believe at Somme.Also my Great Grandmother told me once that he was in a Bantam unit because he was only 5'4".I have a photo of him on a horse but do not know if it pertains to what he might have done in the war or if it was staged as a photo op,I believe it has something to do with what he did as my Mother has a set of spurs that were his.That is about all I know.......I checked for his name on the medal roll and did come across two possibilities.

that's the lad 2nd on the left

thanks in advance for all your help.....

This is a picture of my GGrand fathers brother.... .....all I know is he was a Seargant Major in the Gordon Highlanders....thats all I know of him.He was a lifer it seems and was in the Army for many years after the war.

Well thats all I have for now....as you may guess by my name I am half german also so I will be doing some research on that part of my family next.

I do have one little snippet.....my GGUncle in the Seaforth Highlanders died at the same time and place as my GGUncle in the german army....the irony is quite something....and dont even get me started on World War II. I have Grandfathers and more German/English Uncles involved in Dunkirk,DDay,Singapore,Japanese POW,the Russian Front and a POW in Siberia...it's a wonder myself or my cousins where even born with all the male relatives in my family who were lost to both wars.

Well again thank you for all your help

Heinz Rebing

Livermore California

Heinz,

Medal Index Cards:

I see just one William Madden of the Royal Scots, which fits. The other is a William H which I assume is not your man. That leaves Private 22364 William Madden, Royal Scots.

Have you down-loaded his card to see whether there is any more info?

Ian

Horses and Royal Scots ties up! Lothian and Border Horse Yeomanry were turned into 17th Royal Scots which was a Bantam unit originally. My own G Uncle ded in September 1918 along with 276 of his mates at Brielen.

Check out the main site for 17th RS.

Aye

Malcolm

Once again you guys have come thru for me......I can't thank you enough.You guy's are not only very informative ,but it's quite fun .

Now I have a starting point who knows what I'll find.....thanks alot!