Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Leicestershire's

stu

Can anyone please help me,I'am trying to find out what the 2nd Leicestershire's were doing between the 3/1/16 to 16/1/16 and again 7/3/16 to 9/3/16.

I know that they were in action around those dates,but any more info I can get will be much appreciated,I'am particulary keen for anything mentioning Lt J.P.Swain.

Many thanks.

Stu

• 2 weeks later...

Stu,

I have had a chance to look at Wylly's book on 1st and 2nd Battalions Leicestershire Regiment, which has been reprinted by someone. (Having a senior moment and can't remember who!) I haven't got a copy but Leicester Reference Library does. The 2/Leics, together with the rest of the Indian Corps, left France in November 1915. They were involved in trying to relieve the Siege of Kut, in early 1916. They were part of a force moving up the Tigris River.

They were involved in a major attack at Shaikh Said on the 6th January, and were repulsed with heavy losses. The assault resumed on the following day. They took heavy officer casualties in the course of the action. 2/Leics were back in action on 13th January, when they successfully took a Turkish position. On this date the acting CO was one of those wounded. On 8th March they were back in action at a Turkish position called Dujaila Redoubt, where they had four officers wounded, including the latest acting CO and Captain J.P. Swain D.C.M. (When they were travelling to the Middle East he was a humble 2/Lt, so presumably he was given the rank when he took on the Adjutant job, at a guess after the January actions.)

As you are probably aware, all attempts to relieve Kut failed, and the garrison surrendered to the Turks a few weeks later.

Dave

Hi Dave,

This is great info,many thanks for your help,I don't suppose there is a photo of J.P.Swain in the book is there.

Regards.

Stu

Stu,

Sadly, there isn't. I will have a look at 2/Leics War Diary at the Leicester Record Office, to see if I can find anything more out about 2/Lt (or Captain) Swain, and have a look at their catalogue, to see if they have any pictures of 2/Leics officers, although I don't recollect that they do. Not to sure when I will get there, as it's a busy time of the year.....

Cheers,

Dave

P.S. I will also have a gander at the Leics Yeomanry stuff too. Haveyou got details of his Yeomanry career - like when he joined up?

Hi Dave,

Many thanks for your help,I'am really very grateful for anything you can find out for me.

Unfortunately,I don't have anything on him regarding his joining dates etc,he did however receive the TFEM in 1912,which would give him 12 years service by that date,so assuming he enlisted with the Leicestershire Yeo and not some other unit,he could have possibly have served with them in the Boer war if they took part.

I'am sorry for delays in my replies,it really is a busy time if year for me (13 hour days) and unfortunately I don't have access to a computer whilst at work.

Many thanks.

Best wishes.

Stu