Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Numbering in the Buffs

Guest Hill 60

One of my Grandfathers (George Bradbury) served in the Buffs during the War, he joined up in 1916 aged 18 years.

Now, I'm no expert when it comes to Army numbers but I believe that it is possible on occasions to identify which battalion a man was in by his number. If I am right (and that ain't often!) could someone tell me what battalion he would have possibly been in please?

He was severly wounded in F&F in 1917 and wound up in the Labour Corps by the end of the War.

Any tips or solutions greatly welcomed! I wish I had talked to him when he was alive and found all this info out when I had the chance, but try telling a teenage boy in the 80's to talk to his Grandfather when there were girls and Two Tone music on his mind!!

The keen-sighted out there will have noticed that I missed out one vital piece of information to my question, my Grandfather's number!

It was 22379.

Sorry about that, had the girls and Two Tone music on my mind again! :huh:

Lee

As you are probably aware the only sure fire way to identify the Battalion is by checking the medal index/rolls at Kew.

Some Regiments used a system whereby it was possible to identify their original battalion.

In the Bedfordshire Rgt training Battalions (3rd and 4th) the men were identified by a prefix to their number so a man in the third was numbered 3/1234 or the fourth 4/1234, these men retained the number after moving to other Bedfordshire Rgt Battalions, but often even on official papers the 3/(4/) was dropped.

If you see this type of number it usually means the man was from the pre war reserve. Many 3/ numbers appear in lists for the original 7th Beds men as they were used to bolster the ranks with some experience. I have done some research on this subject and found it to be less than an exact science.

P.S. The Selector and The Beat were my favourates

Raster - Cheers, I''l have a look..if I can ever get to Kew!

I've had a look through the medals in my collection and have found a pair to a man from the 1st Buffs who was killed in 1917 and his number is only about 100 from my Grandfather's.

Desmond Decker, The Selecter and Lord Tanamo were my favourites! B)

Lee

Just had a quick scan through the Soldiers Died CD. Buffs casualties with numbers close to yours were 22343,22345,22346,22353,22387,22390 and 22392. They had been with the following battalions respectively: 7,1,7,8,7,7,7. If I was a betting man the oddes look good for 7th Battalion.

By the way all these had a G/ prefix.

I'm a Skatalites, Roland Alphonso type myself. Very partial to Toots and the Maytals too.

Cheers

Chris - 7th Bn eh? Sounds logical to me judging by the numbering you've given.

My Grandfather's medals don't show the G/ prefix, but I have seen many like this in the past.

Actually the medals (BWM & VM) are in a bit of a state after he threw them into the backgarden (near the coal shed to be precise) when WWII broke out. It was only because my Dad found them and hid them that they weren't lost for good!

I'm also partial to the Rolling Stones, Motorhead, Eva Cassidy and The Doors..strange taste in music! B)

Lee,

The best way is at Kew, as, with luck, you can trace the battalion(s) he served in.

The G/ prefix denoted that the soldier joined up in the Home Counties, if that's any help.

Rob