Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Captain Thomas Tannatt Pryce VC

Max (UK)

Hello all

I searched for "pryce" before posting this, but didn't find anything.

After months of looking, I got in touch with a very nice bloke who had a load of stuff about the Grenadier Guards, and found that my Great Grandad, Pte. D McEvoy MM, was one of the 40 or so men that Captain Pryce led.

His Victoria Cross citation is as follows :-

"For most conspicuous bravery, devotion to duty, and self-sacrifice when in command of a flank on the left of the Grenadier Guards. Having been ordered to attack a village he personally led forward two platoons, working from house to house, killing some thirty of the enemy, seven of whom he killed himself.

The next day he was occupying a position with some thirty to forty men, the remainder of his company having become casualties. As early as 8.15 a.m., his left flank was surrounded and the enemy was enfilading him. He was attacked no less than four times during the day, and each time beat off the hostile attack, killing many of the enemy.

Meanwhile the enemy brought three field guns to within 300 yards of his line, and were firing over open sights and knocking his trench in. At 6.15 p.m., the enemy had worked to within sixty yards of his trench. He then called on his men, telling them to cheer and charge the enemy and fight to the last.

Led by Captain Pryce, they left their trench and drove back the enemy with the bayonet some 100 yards. Half an hour later the enemy had again approached in stronger force. By this time Captain Pryce had only 17 men left, and every round of his ammunition had been fired.

Determined that there should be no surrender, he once again led his men forward in a bayonet charge, and was last seen engaged in a fierce hand-to-hand struggle with overwhelming numbers of the enemy.

With some forty men he had held back at least one enemy battalion for over ten hours. His company undoubtedly stopped the advance through the British line, and thus had great influence on the battle."

- I have 2 questions if anyone can help, please?

1. Are there any decent books that may expand on this action ?

2. Does anyone know if a painting has been done so I can buy a print of it? You know sometimes you get art prints of notable actions/events - with my Great Grandad's involvement, some kind of picture would be great to help imagine the scene and also I would hang it on my wall !

• 3 weeks later...

How about checking the Stock Exchange roll of honour? Reprints are available, so I am told, and there may be a picture of him in that. Then youd have to check the picturte credits and track down a source through that avenue. Photo Dept at IWM has a good list of VC portaits they hold, may be worth a shot?

Max, I have a cutting from an old Guards magizine of him when he was with the Glosters.Nothing to do with what you're looking for but just thought I'd say it anyway.

Try The Guards Museum too.

If you want to read how he won his MC and Bar with the Glosters *CLICK HERE*

Wow I completely forgot about this topic !! Thanks for your suggestions Owen, Myrtle and Dogflud. :)

Well it should be nice and quiet at work tomorrow ( :) ) so I'll get looking !!!

Thanks !