Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

searching!

Guest cousin dan

Guest cousin dan

I am trying to discover where my great uncle, John Close(4258) from Belfast, served during the war. He was with the 1st battalion royal inniskilling fusiliers. I visited PRO, service records unfortunately no longer exist. According to the medal roll his 'date of disembarkation' was 25-5-15, theatre of war '2B' which I believe to be the Balkans. Would this mean he fought at Gallipoli, would the date coincide? ( I know the landing commenced on 25-4-15). Also, I have a few letters written by him from a POW camp in Germany, where he died on 23-9-18. I therefore believe he served in France - anyone any ideas how I may find this out? Thankyou any help much appreciated.

sandra.

Hi Sandra,

1st Batt. Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

25/4/15 Landed at Gallipoli

8-9/1/16 Evacuated Gallipoli, went to Egypt

18/3/16 Arrived Marseilles

5/2/18 To 109th Brigade. 36th Division

11/11/18 109th Bde. 36th Div. France; Roncq, North of Tourcoing.

You could also try contacting the Regimental Museum

Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers Regimental Museum

The Castle,

Enniskillen,

Co. Fermanagh,

Northern Ireland BT74 7BB

UK

Phone: [+44] 136 532 3142

Daniel,

Its possible the date of entry into the theatre is incorrect, and your great uncle landed on 25-4-1915. This was the case with my g-g-uncle serving with the 5/Connaught Rangers. His date of entry is also a month wrong from the true date. On his MIC card its shown as 28-8-1915, whereas on the Roll is was initially 28-8-1915 but later amended by hand to 29-7-1915, the date the battalion diembarked at Lemnos.

You might want to try local newspapers from the period, to see if John is mentioned. Especially if he was wounded or taken prisoner, his family may have published info in the local rag.

The regimental archives may also hold something on John. Not too likely though.

The Castle

Enniskillen

Co Fermanagh

N. Ireland

Good luck,

Jim