Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte David Ford 22nd Bttn AIF

Smokey in Oz

Gents, my first post here, looks like a teriffic source of knowledge, congratulations all!

I recently picked up a p1907 Sanderson hooked quillion bayonet with the name & date "David Ford Nov 10th 1915" on the scabbard. It seems he joined the AIF 6th Infantry Brigade, 22nd Battalion, 16th re-inforcements as a Private, 5994, on 02/09/1916 and embarked Melbourne on HMAT Nestor A71 on 02/10/1916.

There is plenty of info around on the 22nd but I was wondering more specifically where the 16th re-inforcements served. I have contacted the AWM for his service record but this info may take months to arrive. Any assistance in the meantime would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Smokey.

Smokey,

Limited information is available on David Ford until his service records come on line. (Have you requested these through National Archives?)

What I can tell you is that 5994 Pte David Norman Ford was 29 years old when he enlisted on the 2/9/16. A Presbyterian, he was married to Marion Ford and was employed as a maltster, the man responsible for the malt in beer brewing. Born in Collingwood, Victoria, he was living in Richmond Victoria when he enlisted.

The 22nd Battalion's history is contained in Gorman, E., "WITH THE TWENTY-SECOND. A HISTORY OF THE 22ND BATTALION, A.I.F.", H. H. Champion, 1919 (reprint).

Ford sailed in October, 1916 and it is unlikely that he reached the Battalion until Jan-Feb, 1917. The worst of the 1916-17 winter was over, and the Battle of the Somme had drawn to a close.

In May 1917 the 6th Brigade, including the 22nd Battalion, was involved in the 2nd Battle of Bullecourt. Given that Ford was returned to Australia in Sep '17 it ius quite possible that he was wounded in this battle.

Hope this is of some help,

Bob

I've got a copy of Gorman's history and I'll do some looking through it and see what I can find in it.

My Great Uncle served with the 22nd and was killed in 1918.

Tim L.

Thanks Bob, I have that info and have also requested his service record but Archives aren't known for they're speedy response. I understand they have many requests and few people to carry out the work.

Tim, your offer of help would be much appreciated. Now that I know which book to get it will be a trip to the library for me, hopefully they have a copy of Gormans' book.

Cheers, Smokey.

Hi Smokey, welcome to the GWF – I promise not to make you blush here!! (ALH forum - sorry about that :( )

Just incase you haven’t found a copy of the Unit History at your library, and trying not to tread on Tim L’s toes – thought I’d pass on the following:

Quick check of the Service Records of a few other 22nd Bn, 16th Reinf men – showed that the ‘Nestor’ disembarked at Plymouth 16/11/16.

They then proceeded to France on the SS ‘Arundel’ 4/2/17

Marched out from Etaples 8/2/17, to join their Unit

Joined the 22nd Bn, in the field 23/3/17 (TOS)

From the Unit History: “With the Twenty-Second”:

The 22nd Bn were in the Bapaume area at the time the reinforcements joined

Snow had fallen on the 22nd March

28/3/17 – moved in to huts in Mametz Wood – parades & drills

14/4/17 – took over the line left of Moreuil

A day or so later moved to Favreuil for intense training

3/5/17 – the Battle of Bullecourt

“In twenty-four hours the Battalion had lost sixteen officers and 422 other ranks, of whom over fifty per cent were ‘killed’ or ‘missing’.

17/5/17 – Bouzincourt – where they spent a month

15/6/17 – Beaulencourt – where they formed a ‘portion of the Divisional Reserve for the Corps in the front area’

24/7/17 – began the trek towards Belgium

29/7/17 – Campagne – where they were billeted for 6 weeks

12/9/17 – on the march once more – towards the battlefield of Ypres

As you know, Pte David Norman Ford embarked for his return to Australia on 10/9/17. And as Bob said, he may have been wounded at Bullecourt & spent the following months in hospital. Which of course would mean that the battalions movements after the 3rd May wouldn’t apply to him.

The National Archives are actually only a month behind with requests for digitizing Service Records at the moment – so you may not have too long to wait to know his story for sure.

Cheers, Frev. :)

Edited by frev

No probs Frev. Other than finding his details in the Nominal Roll of the book there were no specific references to Ford that I could find and you've provided the other info that Smokey might be able to use.

Out of interest which copy of the book do you have? I've got two, an early reprint and the latest one by Carl Johnson which includes lots of new pics and info.

Tim L.

Out of interest which copy of the book do you have? I've got two, an early reprint and the latest one by Carl Johnson which includes lots of new pics and info.

Tim L.

Tim - Talk about greedy! I've only got one! But the better of the 2 - with all the new pics & info.

Cheers, Frev.

Thanks for the speedy responses guys. Great info, it would have taken me ages to source that otherwise. Much appreciated.

Tell me, having this gents' name on the scabbard aswell as his service record would increase it's value wouldn't it? I just watched one sell on e-bay very similar to mine, 6584453067 , I nearly fell off the chair. And in case you're wondering, no, mine is not for sale.

Thanks again, Smokey.

Had a quick look at the bayonet on Ebay and then made a few enquiries. It appears the 1907 pattern bayonet is fairly common but not the hooked quillion ones. The last of these were made in 1913 and many of these had the quillion ground off. Australian ones are even more rare. If this is what you have then you can happily fall off your chair because what you saw on Ebay is pretty much the going rate. Apparantly there were a few 'replicas' made but yours sounds like it's above board.

I'm no expert and can't tell you if having his name engraved on the scabbard increases the value or not but perhaps another pal can help you out with more detail about the bayonet.

Tim L.