Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Missing Manchester casualty

dom

Hi

I have searched the online Manchester Roll of Honour ,but seem to be unable to find the following chap;

35243 Pte Percy Scargill 1st Bn Manchester Regt, kia 25/3/1917.

He resided at 16 Froxmer Street,Gorton,Manchester.

I was wondering does he come from an area that is not in the Roll?

Can anyone enlighten me?

yours hopefully

stan

dom,they did do some canvassing in gorton but not much,a lot of people couldnt afford the fee others just didnt want to have their names in the roll,bernard,what info are you looking for.

dom,i checked the batts war diary for that period,the 8th and 9th brigades attacked jabel hamrin,9 men were killed,71 wounded and 16 missing,i also checked the 1914 star rolls but hes not listed,his number is to high for a 1914 star but i checked just in case,bernard

dom,i checked the batts war diary for that period,the 8th and 9th brigades attacked jabel hamrin,9 men were killed,71 wounded and 16 missing,i also checked the 1914 star rolls but hes not listed,his number is to high for a 1914 star but i checked just in case,bernard

Hi

Thanks for the information,I didnt realise that people had to pay to get their names added to the Roll.

I was just doing a bit of research into Percy Scargill and thought I would try the Forum first, so I still have more avenues to follow. The diary entry is brilliant it gives a insite into Percy's death.thanks again.

regards

Stan

stan,his father albert came from ossell,yorks,his mother elizabeth from liveredge,yorks,his family originally lived in northenden,his father was a farmers team man,they had lived in the manchester/cheshire area since at least 1883,bernard

Could you please put up a link or web address for the "the online Manchester Roll of Honour "?

go on google and type in, spinning the web, and up it should come,bernard

stan,he came from heckmondwike,yorks and enlisted in manchester,he may be in the yorkshire edition,bernard

No Scargills in the Bradford edition of The National Publishing Co National Roll of the Great War. Can I gently suggest to them over't Pennines that I do not recognise his mum and dads birthplaces Ossell and Liveredge. Could these be Ossett and Liversedge, (and Heckmondwike) - all places on the south side of Bradford/Leeds area.... right batten down hatches :ph34r:

It's worthwhile checking the Leeds volume of the National Roll of the Great War. Tim

Just checked Leeds in the Great War, A Book of Remembrance with Roll of Honour by William Herbert Scott.

No sign of a Percy, only H Scargill 88120, W. Yorks died.

Tim.

sorry stan,i should know better,my mums side of the family all come from leeds/bradford,so i should have got the names right,bernard :D

Hi All

thanks for information ,much appreciated,it all helps in my research.

I found the roll of honour on the Great War Forum nder documents/websites.

egards

Stan