Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gomiecourt, Pas de Calais

Grey Squirrel

Would anyone be able to recommend a battlefield guide of the "Major & Mrs Holt", "On The Trail Of..." or "Battlefield Europe" type that covers the Gomiecourt (not Gommecourt) area of France (even if not Gomiecourt itself)? It's to the north of Bapaume.

Thanks very much.

Edited by Grey Squirrel

There aren't any battlefield guides that cover this area of the battlefields; published guides only cover a minority of the old front - visiting places like this means doing a bit of research in unit etc histories, getting some trench maps and modern maps of the area, and exploring yourself. As good as published guides can be, there is nothing like doing this... and I say that speaking even as one who has written such guides.

Remember to give us a report of your visit when you've done it!

There aren't any battlefield guides that cover this area of the battlefields; published guides only cover a minority of the old front - visiting places like this means doing a bit of research in unit etc histories, getting some trench maps and modern maps of the area, and exploring yourself. As good as published guides can be, there is nothing like doing this... and I say that speaking even as one who has written such guides.

Remember to give us a report of your visit when you've done it!

Dear Paul

Thanks for your reply. I had suspected as much but didn't know if one of the newer Holts' guides might have covered Gomiecourt. I'm thinking of going there in 2006.

Best wishes

Edited by Grey Squirrel