Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Burnt Papers

Auchonvillers

Hello to everyone,

Firstly i am new to-day to the forum and hope this is the correct part of the forum to be asking how to obtain information about a soldier who was an uncle to my grandmother.

We have gone through the channels only to be told that his records were destroyed in the fire and come under the burnt papers.

The limited information we have on him are as follows:-

Name George Hale Worked as the head coach man at a country house near Bath before the out break of ww1.

From a couple of pictures we can see two stripes on his tunic,so we think he must have been a corporal.

We don't know his number but on the back of one of the pictures in pencil but nearly unreadable are the letters M2 at the start,the rest can't be read.

Someone has told us that this refers to driving the field ambulances,so we think he may have been a driver of some kind.

After the war he returned home after surviving the Somme.

If anyone in the forum has any information or advice on how i can get more information on this subject i would be most grateful.

Regards to all Mark.

Description Medal card of Hambleton, Hale G

Corps Regiment No Rank

Army Service Corps DM2/134678 Private

That's the closest I can find to a George Hale. Sorry. Got an M2 in there.

Mark,

The "Soldiers Who Died in the Great War" CD-ROm gives you some clues here. It lists over 2000 men who became casualties and whose service number started with M2. (See example below). They ALL served in the Royal Army Service Corps. Certainly could be a driver. but perhpas even of an ambulance. Part of an ASC Ambulance Convoy. Others with more expert knowledge on the ASC will no doubt confirm this.

(Sorry can't seem to get my screen grab to show as an attachement)

Here's two MIC entries that might interest you:

Medal card of Hale, George

Corps: Army Service Corps

Regiment No: M2/191033

Medal card of Hale, George

Corps: Army Service Corps

Regiment No: M2/139218

Hello Chris and Mark,

Thankyou for your replies. Your second soldier details Chris seem to fit in with the limited info i have. Will keep you posted. Thanks to you both.

Mark

M2 denotes Mechanised (Motor) Transport.

Steve.