Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What does this card mean please?

andalucia

Hi All

I have obtained this copy of my great grandfathers medal card. His name was John Owens and he was with the 1st Battalion of the East Lancashire regiment when he was killed in action on 13 May 1915. his number was 7021 and he is remembered on the Menin gate in Belgium. I know he was on the reserve list and was called up at the start of ww1. before that he had served in India and South Africa but not sure who with.

Below is the copy of his medal card. I dont know what it means. does it tell me anything about where he was or who he served with? or what medals he was awarded?

I was told this on another forum...he was just a few hours from being awarded the 1914 star,if you landed in france or flanders before the 23rd nov you were entitled to the 1914 star,john landed the day after..... and if anyone could add anything else then i would be very grateful for the help.

index.jpg

Thank you

Tony.

Hello

Theatre of war (1) means he went to France

medals are a 15 star, british war and victory medals

Ian

Edited by Coldstreamer

First up I have no special insight into the East Lancashire numbers before the War.

However, the East Lancashire Regiment was a three battalion regiment before the war (1st, 2nd, and 3rd (Reserve) battaliosn) + Territorials (who were numbered differently)

Assuming a take up of numbers similar to other 3 battalion regiments the number 7021 would probably have been allocated somewhere between say 1906 and 1908. The 2nd Battalion of the East Lancashire Regiment served in India from 1897-1911 and then in South Africa 1911 to 1914.

http://www.regiments.org/deploy/uk/reg-inf/059-1.htm

The returned to England in October 1914 and went immediately to France.

It would make sense that he would have returned form South Africa with the 2nd Battalion and gone to France with them.

Presumably he was earmarked for the 1st battalion before the 2nd returned and went to the 1st battalion despite the fact that the 2nd would have been back in the UK before he shipped out.

Anyway, the Service of the 2nd East Lancs "fits", but I would of course caution against taking this as gospel. The 1915 Star Rolls will at least tell you what battalion he went overseas with....

Hope this helps,

Steve.

Thanks Ian and Steve for the info

John was working in Liverpool for the cunard line when he was called up from the reserve list in 1914. He married in 1905 and his children where born in Liverpool in 1910 and 1912. so i assume he may have left the army when his children where born but not sure.

cheers for the help.

Tony.

Sorry Guys. I thought all 6 cards where for my John Owens. :rolleyes:

My John Owens is Middle left, service number 7021.

Can Anyone Tell me what medals John recieved or any other info it gives?

Thanks

Tony.