Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Coldstream Guards

mmm45

I was given a few first world war medals by my grandma and am currently setting about researching the mens service history.

At present i have a War Medal issued to 6048 Pte J Herrington Coldstream Guards.I have tried to search for his MIC at the National Archives but there is no record.Also he wasnt killed as the CWGC Have no record on its database.

Do the Guards have separate Archives?

Any help on this would be ideal.

Thank you

Ady

His medal index card is here:

Card of Joseph Herrington

The Coldstream Guards do have their own archives, and you should be able to get a copy of his service record [in part at least] from

Coldstream Guards Regimental Archives

Wellington Barracks

Birdcage Walk

London

SW1 6HQ

Sue

You may wish to try the Coldstream Guards HQ archive at:

Coldstream Guards

Regimental Headquarters

Wellington Barracks

Birdcage Walk

London

SW1E 6HQ

Their informal web site 'Shiney Capstar' may also be of help but I think the above archive is going to be your best bet.

http://www.shinycapstar.com/

Hope this helps

Best wishes

James

Hello

my fave subject

well he wasnt discharged wounded, decorated or commissioned. Joined late January 1905 (99% sure)

But he went to France 12/8/14 and transferred to the Royal Engineers 170th Tunnelling Co. on 1/4/15 number 86124 Set up for defensive and offensive mining -probably a miner or related skills

let me know your email and ill do you a copy

Ian

I was given a few first world war medals by my grandma and am currently setting about researching the mens service history.

At present i have a War Medal issued to 6048 Pte J Herrington Coldstream Guards.I have tried to search for his MIC at the National Archives but there is no record.Also he wasnt killed as the CWGC Have no record on its database.

Do the Guards have separate Archives?

Any help on this would be ideal.

Thank you

Ady

The transfer to the 170th Tunnelling Company appears to be one of the initial batch of allocations on creation of the 170th Company. As Ian has mentioned he was probably "headhunted" for his pre-war skills.

Steve.

hello

170th was created on the 16th Feb 1915 - attached to the 4 field coys. RE of the 1st and 2nd division

"men chosen from soldiers of various units..with mining or underground experience" (ref wo 95 550 at the NA)

Ian