Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Can anybody recommend any sources on RN's order of battle

GREAKLY

Folks,

Can anybody tell me are there any books about RN order of battle in any conflicts (especially Crimea and WWI). I mean, when researching the army medals there is a number of books, like "Location of units in WWI", "British battles", "Regiments" and etc that help you to pinpoint the location of a certain regiment at any given time. Does anything like that exist for the RN? I mean, some book(s) that I can look up to see which ships took part in a certain action, where a certain ship was on a certain day (week/month/year), ship histories from first till last day? Things like that.

Is anybody knows about such source(s) and could recommend it I would greatly appreciate that.

Regards,

Gregory

"The Grand Fleet 1914~16 Its Creation & Development & Work"~ A massive tome by Admiral Viscount Jellicoe Of Scapa,published by Cassell,1919.Might be worth a read,probably a British Library inter~library loan Job,but should help!

Hello

Add to that OFFICIAL HISTORY OF THE WAR: Naval Operations by Corbett and Newbolt. Five volumes of text and three volumes of maps, published 1920 to 1931. It has been reprinted so it is not impossible to find.

All best

don

The World War I Databook has some useful stuff about navies in its ‘Order of battle’ section.

If you follow the link, you will be able to look through the table of contents which will tell you whether the book meets your needs.

Hello,

Thanks a lot for the info. I checked all the books you recommended (actually ended up buying one :-). However, they all cover RN's actions mostly during WWI. Is there anything on the topic (RN's OB, operations, structure and etc.) for the 19-th Century? In particular I am interested in the Crimean war time.

For instance, "British battles and medals" book indicates which ships were eligible for "Sebastopol" and "Azoff" clasps (1856). However, it does not tell, which ships were present in the theater and, therefore, were eligible for Crimea medal without the clasp. Does anybody know where I can get such information?

Thanks again.

Regards,

Gregory

Arthur,

Thanks a lot for an advice. I checked the book at it's a 7-volume set worth over $200. Is there anything on the topic slightly more portable?

Regards,

Gregory

A Companion to the Royal Navy by David A. Thomas lists all the Battle Honours of the RN & the ships eligible for them. For the Crimea, it gives the names of the ships winning the Battle Honours of Baltic 1854-55 & Crimea 1854-55 & says which were present in each year. It doesn't, however, have any information on the ships other than their names. There is nothing on the command structure or the actual operations in the Crimean, although brief descriptions of many other campaigns & battles are given.