Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Thiepval monument

Lachlan

I have been adviced to contact this site by heaps of people. My wifes grandfather William Robert Wingrove died at the Somme and his names appears on the the wall of the Thiepval memorial. She went on her ownseveral years ago by coach. We want to go together next year as she didnt sign the memoril book and I would like to see nd feel the area for a couple of days.We live in a place called Port Macquarie 4 hours north of Sydney ozzie. We will be in London in May and June and we want to plan a three day trip by public transport and I cant get anyhere on the web site to find the best way to go. Can someone advice us as to the best way to go Regards Michael

You'll get plenty of help here.

But for my two pennorth travelling round the Somme by public transport wouldn't be easy.

If you hired a car in France it would be easier but you may not be a driver so a tour would be the best idea.

From what I can gathere there are quite a number of posters here who run toursto the Somme.

Public transport is fairly non-existant in most parts of France - you can easily get to the Somme by train. From London you could either come by coach (Eurolines does a London to Paris service which stops in the early hours of the morning at Amiens - then by train to Albert), or by train via Eurostar to Lille, then local train Lille to Albert.

Once at Albert there are no buses: so it means a taxi or a local tour. I can recommend my friend Vic Piuk and his wife Diane, who run tours and also offer B&B on the battlefield. See their website:

http://www.lesalouettes.net/Tours.htm

You might also find my two websites shown below of use in planning your visit.

• 1 month later...

If you want a complete UK to Somme customised visit (based entirely around your wife's grandfather's links to the Somme) you may want to contact the following website

http://www.kingsheadadventures.com/

I know the owner. They use high quality 4x4 vehicles are based in Orpington, North West Kent and are people of high integrity. They visit the Somme regularly.

I've also PM'd you with other information.

Gunner Bailey

This looks an interesting site but wonder how the locals view a convoy of 4x4s going down their tracks and lanes?

Looks like they go through the woods etc?vCould be dangerous?

Tony

This looks an interesting site but wonder how the locals view a convoy of 4x4s going down their tracks and lanes?

Looks like they go through the woods etc?vCould be dangerous?

Tony

Kirky

I personally know these people. They would never do anything dangerous or without land owners permission.

Gunner Bailey