Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Service Record Query

DaveBrigg

Hi

I've trawled (!) through the service record questions from earlier posts, but can anyone confirm if the following interpretation is correct?post-7552-1133656420.jpg

Joseph Alec Denton is listed 'Engaged 17 March 1916' - incidently his 19th birthday. The first ship listed is RND (Royal Naval Division?) rating Ordinary Seaman, although the date left is 13 days before the date of engagement on the top of the certificate.

I have seen on an earlier thread that Victory VI was at Crystal Palace. His school obituary states that he attended the School of Wireless Telegraphy, which would tie in with the role of Crystal Palace in early broadcasting. What do the SS and Fus in the List column mean though?

I cannot read the third entry, it looks a bit like Attentive III

Does Deal Castle refer to a naval base in Kent, from where he would have been sent out on different vessels? He died on board the trawler St Ives after it hit a mine off the coast of Cornwall, 21/12/1916

There are two other abbreviations I cannot fathom. In the 'sub-ratings and badges' section he has 'WKA' from 11.10.16, and ceased on the day he died.

In the remarks section is 'Trace to In of P 7/26 (SG19430)'

Any help very gratefully received.

Dave

Dave,

Trawlers were too smaller to have administrative functions (like pay) handled on board; these were done on a larger vessel (like a depot ship) and the ships entry would show this administrative vessel. And it looks to me like Attentive III; which was the parent ship for patrol vessels at Dover.

Best wishes,

Michael

Dave,

I expect the SS means he signed on as a Special Service rating. I would have to view his SR tho to be certain.

The writing below that I cannot make out.

HMS Victory VI was indeed the Crystal Palace depot for RNR & RNR Battalions ratings - by 1916 it was the Maintenance Unit & Signal Section & Seaman Unit.

HMS Dreel Castle was the Auxiliary Patrol vessel base at Falmouth.

If you are able to post a copy of his SR that might help me in translating some of the entries for you,

Bryan

Hi Bryan

Thanks for your help. Locating the Deal Castle as a ship at Falmouth makes far more sense, because this is near to where Joe was killed. I'm attaching a more detailed copy of his service record, although my computer is on life support at the moment, so I don't know how it will come out. The bit missing at the top gives his name 'Joseph Alec Denton', and shows that he enrolled into the RNVR London Division with a number Z/4834. Below SS it looks like FUS(?) I am fairly certain that he had no seafaring background. Hope this is of use to you.

Dave

PS. You have a great place to live! We have family near Port Perry and spent a wonderful week in Ontario last summer.

post-7552-1134084229.jpg

Hi Bryan

Thanks for your help. Locating the Deal Castle as a ship at Falmouth makes far more sense, because this is near to where Joe was killed. I'm attaching a more detailed copy of his service record, although my computer is on life support at the moment, so I don't know how it will come out. The bit missing at the top gives his name 'Joseph Alec Denton', and shows that he enrolled into the RNVR London Division with a number Z/4834. Below SS it looks like FUS(?) I am fairly certain that he had no seafaring background. Hope this is of use to you.

Dave

PS. You have a great place to live! We have family near Port Perry and spent a wonderful week in Ontario last summer.

post-7552-1134084229.jpg

Well Dave, I read from this that he must have ent’d the RNR on 17 March ’16 “for hostilities only” which is normal for RNVR ratings.

RNVR ratings did not normally require any kind of seafaring b/g for entry as did RNR ratings.

So, since he is noted as serving with RND until 4 May ’16 he must have done almost 2 months with the RND at the Crystal Palace depot. The notations in the List column state his number for pay purposes in the ships ledger(book) his pay & allowances were recorded in. I do not know what FUS (or whatever it is) signifies.

I am guessing he was training to become a Wireless rating as his Sub rating is shown as WKA which I think is a Wireless qualification although I am not certain of its exact meaning. I have never come across one like this before.

In any event he is rated an Ord Tel (Ordinary Telegraphist) on 22 July ’16. Then he is drafted to HMS Dreel castle on 22 Sept ’16 until DD (Discharged Dead) on 21 Dec ’16.

I am about 1& a bit & from Port Perry – it is indeed beautiful in summer & fall – but now a snowmobile would be quite useful!

If you get to Canada again try Bancroft – I have a summer place there - its even nicer in the summer!

Bryan