Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sailors who survived WWI

DamienB

I have three relatives I'm trying to track down more details on. Two of the three survived WWI, one did not. I cannot find a medal index card for any of them. Any ideas? The first two may well have continued to serve past 1921 - does this mean no records for them are released yet?

Dominic Burke (possibly Joseph middle name)

Royal Navy or Royal Naval Reserve

Served on HMS Transylvania

Survived the ship's sinking in 1917

Possibly born 1895

From Galway in Ireland

Patrick Burke

Royal Navy or Royal Naval Reserve

Served on HMS Isis

Believed by my grandparents to have served in the Battle of the Falklands, but Isis was not involved

From Galway

Thomas McHugh

Royal Naval Reserve

Served on HMS Queen

Service no. 1562SD

Killed 27/11/1917 aged 43 - grandparents believe he died in a fall from the rigging and that Dominic Burke was in the firing party at the burial

Buried Taranto

I'm off to the PRO on Tuesday but if anybody can help out in any way before then that would be superb.

My wife also has a couple of WWI relatives - Ephraim Thomas Deadman (L/2563 KIA 12/09/1914) and Edward A Deadman (L/10488 KIA 07/10/1916) but we've had some more success with those in that we have their MICs and extracts of war diaries already so don't need a kick start there!

If you mean "Online MiCs" the Royal Navy Cards are not available by that method,only Army,Womens Services & RFC{including some RAF} & the odd RND man,if the papers you seek are not Online yet either this is because it is a new project by the NA & is not yet complete,plus as you say if service extended past 1921 only that up to that date will be available.