Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SI and DI Notification

Peter Beckett

I noticed this article on the above in Pennsylvania Base Hospital No 10 by Paul Hoeber 1920, page 68.

The traditional care with which the British Government looks after the welfare of its soldiers was nowhere better exemplified than in the hospital. Every day a dispatch was sent to London containing lists of the names of patients who were considered as in a serious condition. If a man were dangerously ill a special telegram was sent the War Office informing it of his condition. These were the so-called "S. I." and "D. I." lists. As soon as a patient's name was placed on the D. I. list his family was notified and two and sometimes more of them, wife, mother or father, or some other of his kin, were brought to his bedside in a wonderfully short time, sometimes within less than twenty-four hours, and there they could remain until their loved one was out of danger, or if he died until he was laid at rest. The British Y. M. C. A. maintained a hostel in which these relatives were housed, and though it used to be inexpressibly sad to see these mournful little groups about the bedside or at the grave, the consolation to them and to the patient must have been very great. Their gratitude was often touchingly expressed and it was very beautiful to see the sympathy they manifested towards others who were in the same plight, or towards the patients with whom they came in contact during their brief stay about the Hospital.

This was based at Le Treport in France and explains the correspondance sent to my Grandmother, informing her that she could not visit her husband while he was there. (Form 104-80B)

LB (David), I have not forgotten the scanned doc posting, just got sidetracked :rolleyes:

Peter

Army Form 104-80B

Peter,

Not sure what "S.I." means, but could "D.I." mean "Death Imminent".

Graham.