Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Firing Squads

wig

I have two accounts of the executions of the Irish Rebel leaders in 1916 which were carried out by the Sherwood Foresters. One account, written by a priest who attended the execution say that a "silent order to fire was given". Presumably he means a signal.

Another accout, written by an officer in charge of a firing party says he gave the order "Fire".

I am rather doubtful of the "silent order" story as it would require the rilfemen to keep an eye on the officer and an eye on their target and would lead, perhaps, to a ragged volley of ill aimed shots.

Do the regulations addres this issue? and wher can I find them?

Your help appreciated.

wig

Yes... what do you want to know?

was there a particular execution or something in general

John

This question was first raised in the 30s. A little known SAD fact is that former members of firing parties were amongst the first SAD whistleblowers. Many were disgusted by what they were forced to go through and took up the matter with Labour MPs such as Shinwelll and Thurtle, the latter writing the first exposé of the practice in a pamphlet called 'Shootings at Dawn'. This is largely based on the testimony of firing party members.

Amongst their many concerns was that the methods and procedure were inhumane (don't ask me what a humane system of shot at dawn would look like.) Manny Shinwell wrote to the War Office asking for information and details of instructions and procedures given to firing parties by the War Office. He received a reply dated 2 April 1930 saying that full instructions had been given, but they (the War Office) could not now find a copy. How convenient.

You can find copies of the correspondence on this matter in the PRO at Kew in WO 93/49 1301