Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Seaforths collar badge

museumtom

I could not resist this badge at the fair in Dublin today, everyone I asked said it was either Scottish, brass, white metal, or bronze. All I know is that it was dug up during re-building at the Curragh Camp in Kildare.

[Broken link removed]

any ideas?

Regards.

Tom

Tom,

It's part of the two piece collar badge worn by the Seaforth Highlanders(Ross-shire Buffs), the other part being an elephant.

Graham.

Many thanks Graham, any idea of the period of use for this badge? Can you give me a link to an url for the full badge?

regards.

Tom

museumtom said:
I could not resist this badge at the fair in Dublin today, everyone I asked said it was either Scottish, brass, white metal, or bronze. All I know is that it was dug up during re-building at the Curragh Camp in Kildare.

any ideas?

Regards.

Tom

Aberfeldy is usually associated with The Black Watch.

The Scroll actually reads:"CABER FEIDH" Gaelic?

The two badges described by Graham are as below:~

Presumably worn in tandem?

Tom,

The information comes from the early Churchills book on collar badges and apparently the piece you have was worn nearest the collar opening. I've looked all over for a decent illustration of it being worn, but haven't got one. The book doesn't give dates either, but I have reason to believe it was worn as a double collar badge until the Seaforths & Camerons amalgamated as the Queens Own Highlanders(Seaforth & Camerons). On amalgamation the elephant with a scroll bearing the honour "Assaye" was worn.

Will try and scan the said badges for you.

Graham.

Cabar Feidh gu brath = Deer's horns for ever. A Seaforth regimental toast.

Land of hills, glens and heroes;

Where the ptarmigan thrives

And where the red deer finds shelter.

As long as mist hangs over the mountains

And water runs in the glens,

The deeds of the brave will be remembered

Health and success for ever

To the lads of Cabar Féidh!

Cabar faidh Gu brath!

The toast was used from the earliest days of the Earl of Seaforth's Highland regiment.

Ian

This information is very much appreciated. I knew when I seen it , it was not the run-of-the mill, can you give me an idea of when would this badge have been used? is it ww1?

regards.

Tom

Tom,

The two illustrations I have are dated 1887 and 1896, but would say that it would have possibly been worn at least as early as 1880/81 or even earlier, and possibly worn up to amalgamation with the Camerons. Someone on the Forum may know exactly when the Seaforths were stationed in Ireland.

Graham.

Many thanks to all members for their help, I knew you guys would know what it was. I collect Irish but for 4 euro I was not going to leave it there.

Regards.

Tom

Phil B

The ''F'' is the cypher of Frederick, Duke of York and Albany, from whom the 72nd Duke of Albany's Own Highlanders took their title - one of the constituents of the Seaforths.

Ian

Believe its from the arms of the Earl of Seaforth one of whose ancestors was Colin Fitzgerald, who saved the life of Alexander III of Scotland when he was being savaged by a stag. In gratitude the King granted Fitzgerald as a badge to his coat of arms, a stags head with the motto "Cuidich'n Righ" ("Help the King").

Graham.

The "F" is the cypher of the Duke of Albany,founder of the Regiment,I believe.

As to times in Ireland,

The 72nd and 78th (constituents of the Seaforths) were in Ireland at various times during the 1800's. The Seaforths were formed in 1881 and the 1st Bn was in Ireland 1889-1895 variously at Dublin, Fermoy & Tipperary.

As we have seen, ''Assaye" was a battle honour of the 78th and the ''F'' was from the 72nd.

Tempting to suggest these badges were from the 1889-1895 period, but who knows?

Ian

Ian & Harry,

Can't comment on the cypher on the collar badge, which is probably correct, but the title 72nd Duke of Albany's own Highlanders wasn't given to the regiment until 1823. The regiment was raised by Kenneth MacKenzie, Earl of Seaforth in 1777 and embodied at Elgin in May 1778, but for the first seven years of it's existence it was known as the 78th Regiment of(Highland)Foot. It was renumbered 72nd around 1784/5, when several other units were being disbanded. In 1809 it ceased to wear Highland dress and was made to dress as infantry of the line, and in the same year it became the Duke of Albany's(1823), it's highland dress was restored.

A 2nd Battalion, 72nd Highlanders was raised in 1804, but never served overseas and was disbanded in 1816.

The 78th Highlanders were raised in July 1793 by Francis Humberston MacKenzie of Seaforth, cousin of the Earl of Seaforth. Francis was it's first appointed Lieut-Col Commandant.

A 2nd Battalion, 78th Highlanders was raised in 1794 by Alexander MacKenzie of Fairbairn, which were known as the "Ross-shire Buffs".

Graham.

but the title 72nd Duke of Albany's own Highlanders wasn't given to the regiment until 1823. .........In 1809 it ceased to wear Highland dress and was made to dress as infantry of the line, and in the same year it became the Duke of Albany's (1823), it's highland dress was restored.

Quite correct - August 1825 it received its new Colours and in respect for the Duke of York and Albany, from which the regiment had obtained its title, the Colours bore the new regimental cypher ''F'' and coronet of Prince Frederick.

Ian

museumtom said:

any ideas?

Regards.

Tom

Caber Feidh it is and I should wear my other glasses before rushing to post. I did wonder why no-one else had seen it. B)

• 2 years later...
On ‎03‎/‎12‎/‎2005 at 22:06, ian turner said:

Cabar Feidh gu brath = Deer's horns for ever. A Seaforth regimental toast.

Land of hills, glens and heroes;

Where the ptarmigan thrives

And where the red deer finds shelter.

As long as mist hangs over the mountains

And water runs in the glens,

The deeds of the brave will be remembered

Health and success for ever

To the lads of Cabar Féidh!

Cabar faidh Gu brath!

The toast was used from the earliest days of the Earl of Seaforth's Highland regiment.

Ian

Tir nam Beann, nan Gleann, 's nan Gaisgeach;

Far am faighear an t-eun fionn,

'S far am faigh am fiadh fasgadh,

Cho fada 's chitear ceo mu beaann

'S a ruitheas uisge le gleann,

Mairidh cuimhne air euchd nan treun.

Slainte agus buaidh gu brath Le Gillean Chabar Feidh!

Cabar Feidh gu Brath!

"The toast was used from the earliest days of the Earl of Seaforth's Highland regiment" …….. and remained preserved for posterity within in the Queen's Own Highlanders (Seaforth and Camerons) ……….

Edited by TullochArd